Assembly Test and Launch Operations Engineer
Experienced ATLO Engineer
Known as the Emirates Mars Mission, the project is being designed to observe weather phenomena like Martian clouds and dust storms as well as changes in temperature, water vapor and other and gases throughout the layers of the atmosphere. CU-Boulder is an academic partner with the United Arab Emirates for this mission. The CU-Boulder part of the mission will be undertaken at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP). LASP is seeking an experienced spacecraft Assembly, Test, and Launch Operations (ATLO) Engineer to support EMM.
Work closely with ATLO Manager, ATLO team members, systems engineers, subsystem engineers, software engineers, mission operations team, and launch site personnel to execute all phases of the EMM ATLO program. Applicant must have strong team leadership skills, the ability to work independently, and good organization and project management skills.
• Write and execute ATLO procedures including component integration, spacecraft functional, spacecraft performance, environmental test, fault protection verification, shipping & handling, and launch site operations.
• Lead day to day ATLO activities for all ATLO phases from integration procedure development through day of launch operations
• Mentor junior engineers, graduate students, and undergraduate students throughout the spacecraft ATLO process
• Review and approve procedures written by other ATLO team members
• Provide schedule inputs and updates to the ATLO manager
• 8 years proven spacecraft experience covering all ATLO phases from Bus integration through day of launch operations
• Experience integrating and testing all spacecraft subsystems
• Experience integrating and testing science payloads at the spacecraft level of assembly
• Experience with spacecraft level test execution including launch vehicle separation / shock, ground segment compatibility, vibration, thermal vacuum / balance, acoustics, EMI/EMC, mission scenario, and jitter characterization
• Proficient with automated scripting languages such as STOL, CSTOL, Python, or Ruby
• Proficient with Unix/Linux based environments
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Definition and execution of launch site activities including post shipment inspection & test, spacecraft fueling, launch vehicle integration, spacecraft encapsulation, and day of launch operations
• Command and control systems experience
• BS degree in engineering or applied sciences (or equivalent experience)
• Experience working in Class 8 (level 10,000) cleanroom environment with ESD sensitive hardware
• Experience with revision control systems like Agile, CVS, SVN or git
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
• Early orbit operations / spacecraft commissioning or normal operations support experience
• CSTOL scripting and OASIS-CC environment experience
• Experience with spacecraft air and ground transportation and handling operations
• Mechanical and electrical ground support equipment requirements definition
• Mechanical and electrical ground support equipment design and fabrication
• Experience executing automated test scripts on a "flat sat" or spacecraft simulator
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Curriculum Vitae or Resume 2 - Cover Letter. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Colorado at Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Apr 26, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00733038