As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating undergraduate students for productive lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse and interconnected world. Its more than 2,100 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
Susquehanna University Lifeguards will be responsible for supervising and ensuring safety during scheduled pool hours.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Must have current Lifeguard, CPR/AED and First Aid certifications from a credible source (e.g. American Red Cross). Ability to set priorities and advocate team concepts, work collaboratively with faculty and staff. Ability to effectively communicate in person and via email.
High School graduate or current High School student over the age of 16.
Prior Lifeguard experience is preferred but not required.
Requires bending, pushing/pulling, stooping, kneeling, lifting up to fifty (50) pounds, and climbing. High level of staff and guest interaction and communication with all ages and diverse populations. Must possess physical stamina to respond effectively to emergency situations and work in a noisy, often hot, distracting and stressful environment. You are expected to be able to maintain your swim, rescue, CPR and First Aid skills throughout the duration of your time working as a lifeguard at Susquehanna. Working conditions are indoor.
• Ensure safety at all times and prevent injuries by supervising aquatics area and implementing best practices.
• Report all incidents and concerns to the Aquatics Coordinator, Haley Townsend, and fill out an incident report form.
• Move the lane lines and flags when necessary for various activities.
• Put the ramp into and pull it out of the water when necessary (you are not expected to do this by yourself).
• Run the pool vacuum when asked to do so.
• Make sure the pool area is clean and tidy. Periodically wipe down the yoga mats.
• Turn the lights out and lock up at the end of your shifts.
• Test pH and Chlorine levels during every single shift and record them on the clipboard.
Prior lifeguard experience is preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please note: if the successful applicant is under the age of 18, they will need to provide a valid Work Permit (which can be obtained at their school district office).
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/1164