Assistant Dean of Admission
Summary: The John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Illinois seeks a dynamic, experienced Assistant Dean for Admissions. The Assistant Dean for Admissions is responsible for developing pre- and post-admissions recruiting strategies, making scholarship recommendations for new and returning students, achieving admissions and enrollment goals, and managing the Admissions Office, which has three other employees, including two with J.D. degrees. The Assistant Dean for Admissions reports to the law school’s Dean.
The policy of the Law School is to provide equal opportunity to all employees. This equal opportunity refers to all applicable law school practices, including employee recruiting, hiring, administering wages & salaries, transferring, training, promoting, disciplining, terminating & all other conditions & privileges of employment.
Responsibilities: Lead all aspects of the Law School’s enrollment-management effort, including-
- Develop, manage, and implement recruiting programs for J.D., LL.M., and M.J. programs, including on- and off-campus events for prospective and admitted students;
- Represent the Law School at recruiting and other events;
- Coordinate new-student orientation with the Assistant Dean for Student Life and Leadership;
- Work with the Faculty Admissions Committee and law-school administration in setting admissions policies;
- Implement admissions policies;
- Develop and maintain the content for Admissions web pages;
- Review applications and make decisions regarding admissions;
- Maintain admissions statistics;
- Develop and implement the Law School’s scholarship strategy for new and returning students;
- Supervise all other aspects of enrollment management, including the transfer and non-matriculated pool;
- Serve as the admissions liaison to other law school constituencies, including faculty, alumni/ae, and off-campus groups including pre-law advisors and the Law School Admissions Council;
- Work with Marketing and Communications to oversee the design and messaging of all recruitment materials, such as publications, website entries and video;
- Lead the admissions staff to accomplish the Law School’s strategic priorities;
- Participate in weekly Deans Staff meetings with other members of the senior management team; and
- Work on other projects as requested.
Requirements and preferences:
- At least three years' admissions experience in higher education, with a proven record of developing and implementing recruitment strategies, or at least three years of experience in a related area of higher education, and preferably in a law-school context. (Prefer at least five years’ admissions experience.)
- Excellent oral, written, and technological skills.
- Strong management experience and a high level of energy and commitment.
- Excellent planning, organization, budget, and management skills.
- Sensitivity, positiveness, and commitment to special needs, diversity, and multiculturalism.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage and work effectively within a complex organization.
- Well-developed understanding of legal or higher education, and admissions best practices and trends.
- Team player with superb organizational skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-thinking, solution-oriented, and entrepreneurial.
- High level of judgment and discretion.
- Commitment to the law school’s mission.
- Accessible beyond normal business hours for time-sensitive matters, crises, and law-school events.
- J.D., professional, or advanced degree is preferred.