Assistant Dean for Student Life and Leadership
Summary: The John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Illinois seeks a dynamic, experienced Assistant Dean for Student Life and Leadership. The Assistant Dean for Student Life and Leadership serves as the law school’s principal liaison with students and provides leadership and strategic direction to ensure an outstanding and supportive student experience. The Assistant Dean fosters a strong and inclusive community within the law school by creating, running, and supporting programming for students on a wide variety of topics, including convening faculty-student gatherings, and supporting student governance.
Although primarily responsible for the J.D. student population, the Assistant Dean of Students collaborates with the Associate Dean for Graduate and Center Programs on matters pertaining to LL.M. and M.J. students—including students in online degree programs—and works closely with various student-facing departments such as Admissions, Academic Services, Academic Achievement, Career Services, Financial Aid, Security and Campus Safety, Clinics, Writing Resource Center, Institutional Affairs, Information Technology Services, and advocacy programs. The Assistant Dean of Students reports to the Dean.
The policy of the Law School is to provide equal opportunity to all employees. This equal opportunity refers to all applicable law school practices, including employee recruiting, hiring, administering wages & salaries, transferring, training, promoting, disciplining, terminating & all other conditions & privileges of employment.
- Coordinate student programming and outreach;
- Provide guidance, support, and structure for student organizations;
- Lead the law school’s Student Support and Emergency Team;
- Facilitate student leadership opportunities;
- Work with students on health and wellness issues, and non-academic discipline;
- Coordinate new-student orientation with the Assistant Dean for Admissions;
- Coordinate the Honors Convocation;
- Regularly update the Student Handbook;
- Develop and implement policies relating to Student Life;
- Develop and maintain the content for Student Life and related webpages;
- Lead the Student Life staff to accomplish the law school’s strategic priorities;
- Participate in weekly Deans Staff meetings with other members of the senior management team; and
- Work on other projects as requested.
Requirements and preferences:
- M.S. in student affairs, higher education, or a related field is the minimum qualification. A Ph.D., Ed.D., or JD is strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, including legal practice or higher education administration.
- Experience in counseling or mentoring preferred.
- Knowledge of risk-management and event-management preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage and work effectively within a complex organization.
- Experience and demonstrated success with inclusive leadership and collaboration.
- Well-developed understanding of legal or higher education, student affairs best practices and trends, and a proven commitment to fostering student success.
- Excellent planning, organization, budget, and management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including commitment and sensitivity to the special needs and inclusion of diverse communities and multiculturalism.
- Perceptive, empathetic, and collaborative, with the agility to effectively engage students, faculty, and administrative stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and tact in a highly confidential professional setting.
- High level of energy and commitment.
- Accessible beyond normal business hours to be responsive to time-sensitive matters, crises, student needs, and law-school events.
- Commitment to the law school’s mission.
Apply for Assistant Dean for Student Life and Leadership
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly