Goucher College seeks a dynamic college librarian who will work collaboratively with faculty, students, and staff to position the library as the academic learning center, a vibrant hub that integrates student learning and success with information and digital literacy. The successful candidate will provide the strategic vision and leadership needed to redefine the library as the college beyond the classroom, the site where students develop a habit of mind through mastery of skills and confidence gleaned through reflection, relationships, and resilience; where they are inspired to learn independently, with and among others, guided to ideas through reading, viewing, listening, and mining information resources in diverse formats; and where they experience the joys of life-long learning and membership in a diverse, inclusive, and socially conscious community of critical thinkers. Reporting to the provost and serving on the Provost’s Council, the college librarian will work closely with other campus departments and offices.
The College Librarian will:
- Serve as a strategic leader on campus adept at responding to and managing a changing campus environment;
- Provide strategic vision for the continuing development and advancement of the Library as a learning center. In this capacity, the college librarian is able to leverage existing strengths in the service of new goals;
- Lead strategic planning and assessment efforts to determine the needs of the Library and document its effectiveness as demonstrated by evidence-based assessment methods;
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to provide significant student resources and support for academic programs, instruction, scholarship, and student learning;
- Manage the operations of the Library including the facilities, services, staff, and budgets;
- Provide energetic leadership in integrating new and emerging technologies with existing library resources and services;
- Oversee and provides guidance for the management of the library’s collections, including its online resources;
- Collaborate with other academic centers that are part of the learning commons, such as the Writing Center and the Center for Quantitative Reasoning, to enhance and integrate student learning;
Qualified candidates will possess a master’s degree in library science degree from an ALA accredited program. A second master’s degree or doctorate is desirable. At least seven years of senior level administrative experience in an academic library is required. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the ability to communicate well with others and to work collaboratively and collegially with students, faculty and staff. A record of evidence that demonstrates a commitment to access, inclusiveness, and diversity is essential and a deep understanding of the issues facing higher education, liberal arts colleges, and academic libraries and an understanding of practices that foster deep learning.
Among the 40 Colleges That Change Lives, and ranked first in the nation for study abroad programs by U.S. News & World Report, Goucher is a selective, liberal arts college located 20 minutes north of Baltimore, MD. Goucher enrolls approximately 1,500 undergraduates, 84% of whom live on campus, and 1,200 graduate students. Goucher College is committed to increasing the diversity of our community and seeks applicants dedicated to applying principles of equity and inclusion in all areas of the campus community.
In 2012, Library Journal honored Goucher Library as its #1 New Landmark Library. The Library is housed in the Athenaeum, a LEED Gold certified building recognized for its nonlinear and holistic thinking about the student experience. Special Collections includes a world-class collection on Jane Austen, the history of dance, H.L. and Sara Haardt Mencken, and the James Bright rare book collection.
Review of applications will begin on May 8, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants must apply online at http://goucher.interviewexchange.com.
Please submit the following application materials online:
- Cover letter with salary requirement
- Contact information for three professional references
Goucher College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.