Temporary Summer Nurse (LPN/RN)
Temporary Summer Nurse (LPN/RN)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Health Services
Position Status: Temporary/Contract Positions
The nurse facilitates the delivery of health care to the student population enrolled in WPI Summer Programs and Sports Camps (both college students and children ages 7-18). Responsibilities include nursing care, health teaching, triage, and data collection/verification of health forms. Hours include daytime, evening, overnight and weekend hours as well as field trips. Overnight hours include a private area for sleeping. The nurse works autonomously, staffing the Summer Health Office throughout the day and is on-call on campus during overnight hours. Number of hours per week flexible, usually 24-40. Must be available June 26 - August 11.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Is knowledgeable about policies, procedures, and nursing care standards and uses these when providing patient care.
2. Assumes responsibility and accountability for quality of own nursing practice.
3. Maintains a high level of professional knowledge and skill through self-directed learning and participation in organized continuing education programs.
4. Incorporates the concept of patient/family rights into nursing practice.
5. Performs more complex nursing activities as her/his competence increases.
1. Triage student health care needs via telephone or walk-in basis and advises appropriately.
2. Informs supervisor of campus emergencies, seriously ill, hospitalized, or psychologically disturbed students, daily operational problems, or any problems requiring supervisory intervention.
3. Provides direct nursing care and education to students
4. Assists staff in referrals and transportation of students as needed for medical treatment if out of nursing scope of practice.
5. Contacts parents regarding treatment of minors as needed.
6. First aid to program staff
1. Recognizes potential hazards to patients, staff, and visitors. Takes steps to rectify.
2. Maintains working knowledge of equipment and supplies.
3. Uses and stores equipment according to written policies and procedures.
4. Promptly removes defective equipment from the patient care area and makes arrangements to have it repaired or replaced.
5. Fosters noise control and unit cleanliness.
6. Sees that unusual occurrences are documented properly.
7. Observes established standards of fire, safety, and infection control.
8. Complies with established health policies and protocols.
9. Practices according to professional nursing scope of practice.
Posting Date: 04/14/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include cover letter and references along with resume
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4413
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.