Research Assistant (Diagnostic Medicine / Pathobiology)
General Description of Position: The Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology with the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. The purpose of this position is to enable the establishment and maintenance of research and student training in bovine immunology and infectious disease. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.Job Description: - Conducting general tasks associated with laboratory upkeep and maintenance including, but not limited to, calibration and maintenance of laboratory instruments, ordering and restocking of laboratory supplies and reagents, maintaining chemical and biological inventories, maintaining accurate scientific records, maintaining safe laboratory conditions.
- Support research on the bovine immune system by initiating and conducting experimental protocols under minimal guidance from his/her supervisor; troubleshooting and optimizing experimental procedures; collecting, analyzing and interpreting experimental results. Preparing regular progress reports on experimental results. Successful achievement of these duties will require frequent review and interpretation of the literature.
- Participate in animal experiments including live sample collection (i.e. blood, nasal swabs) and collection at necropsy; this will likely involve working in a team environment. Animal experiments will be conducted under both BSL-2 and BSL-3 conditions.Required Minimum Qualifications: · B.S. in biology, immunology or related fields
· 1-2 years of research experiencePreferred Qualifications: · M.S. in biology, immunology or related fields
· Experience in the areas of immunology or infectious diseases.
· Experience with techniques such as flow cytometry, quantitative rtPCR, ELISAs, cell culture. Experience working with BSL-2 pathogens.
· Experience working with animal subjects.Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary Range / Pay Rate: $ 34,071 - $ 57,921 Annual Salary Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.