Assistant Director of Facilities - College of Engineering Administration (A1700252)
Assistant Director of Facilities
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director of Facilities. This position will (1) assist the college's Director of Facilities, college's academic units and research laboratories in their efforts to simultaneously improve the quality and decrease the operational costs of their facilities; (2) represent College of Engineering interests, primarily in the delivery of capital projects; (3) maintain responsibility for specifying rehabilitation requirements, managing and coordinating the College of Engineering modeling and new construction projects, and assuring projects are completed as specified for the objective intended and within the cost estimated. The Assistant Director of Facilities reports to the Director of Facilities who reports to the College of Engineering Associate Dean for Administration.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist the college's Director of Facilities in providing support for department-level facilities management staff, including department heads and administrators, as they make decisions regarding use, modification, and reassignment of their facilities.
- For all major capital renovation or new space projects, represent and protect the financial and programmatic interests of Engineering Administration, while also being an advocate for the department-level staff involved in the project.
- Assist the college's Director of Facilities with development of program statements; work with departments as they progress through the project timeline; and provide advice to them on critical decisions.
- Make recommendations to improve the efficiency of facility management within the College of Engineering.
- Manage planning, design and construction execution, including scope development, budget, contracts, and schedule on behalf of the College of Engineering, including interaction with faculty and staff, Facilities and Services, and internal or external consultants and contractors.
- Independently research solutions to meet the needs of clients when projects are in the planning stage.
- Manage the architectural design and construction document process by assessing the scope of the project through reviewing professional services consultant drawings and specifications.
- Provide clear, effective and timely communication of design direction and changes to consultants, Facilities and Services, and end users. Identifying exceptions, proposing design solutions and resolving issues with College of Engineering Director of Facilities.
- Review contractor shop drawings, submittals and construction documents and conduct site inspections for design intent.
- Represent the College of Engineering and coordination of those project management services associated with capital improvements including, but not limited to, project budgeting, procurement of professional and construction services through Facilities and Services, and all construction activities.
- Represent the College of Engineering in the process for the selection of architects, engineers, construction managers, and other consultants to be recommended for employment by the University or Capital Development Board.
- Responsible for directly coordinating with College of Engineering departments and laboratories on matters relating to required project utility outages, service interruptions, relocations of offices, laboratories, and personnel.
- Perform other duties or projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or related field.
- 1-2 years of experience in managing a diverse portfolio of facilities and construction-related projects.
- 1- 2 years of experienced in reading and interpreting construction drawing and specifications.
- Knowledge of construction procedures, building and related safety codes, and trade capabilities.
- Ability to work with a variety of constituents, including faculty PIs, unit administrators, Campus Facilities & Services staff, and external architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, including written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work independently, but in a highly coordinated way with college Facilities leadership.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, PRZM software or related software.
- Three or more years of work experience in a large university setting, at the college, academic unit, and/or research laboratory level, and with complex research facility infrastructure.
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with, College of Engineering culture and operations.
The Assistant Director of Facilities is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by May 19, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman, email@example.com, 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Engineering Administration
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 04/25/2017