Mathematics Instructor (Initial College Studies)
Job Summary: To develop, maintain, improve, and administer Initial College Studies Math courses. To develop in each student the skills of critical thinking and to aid students in learning and understanding the subject matter presented to them.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Teach fifteen (15) credit hours per semester. This may include evening or online instruction.
2. Work with ICSM faculty and Math faculty to ensure the curriculum prepares students to be successful in subsequent math courses.
3. Work with ICSM faculty and Mathematics faculty to develop, maintain, improve, and instruct co-requisite courses.
4. Work with ICSM faculty and Mathematics faculty to maintain, improve, and instruct courses in Math Pathways sequence.
5. Serve as lead instructor for assigned areas and maintain appropriate records.
• Provide the first-level of advice and or assistance in academic areas
• Solve problems involving students and/or adjunct instructors
• Field instructor questions, concerns, or requests in your lead area
• Mediate the grievance process for students, as follows
o Make every effort to resolve the problem at the first level
o Point out ways the student can self-evaluate or improve study skills, when appropriate
o Support instructional rigor, and exercise fair treatment of students in all situations
o Suggest ways the instructor can strengthen instruction and/or presentation skills, when appropriate
o Inform the department/division head of the situation in case the student decides to pursue the grievance to the next level
• Orient new instructors to assigned courses.
• Review and select appropriate texts and technologies for faculty and student use.
• Continually improve existing curriculum by designing or revising new curricula in conjunction with ICSM faculty and faculty in the Mathematics department and other departments and divisions ICS serves.
• Develop and maintain course syllabi for the assigned lead areas.
• Develop semester course schedules and assign instructors in cooperation with the fellow ICSM Lead Instructor and Initial College Studies Division Head.
• Conduct classroom observations of adjuncts in areas of responsibility.
• Establish guidelines and procedures for laboratory use, where applicable.
6. Employ innovative instructional methods, which include the use of a variety of audio/visual technology into appropriate classes.
7. Maintain student and course records in accordance with standards set by the division head and the institution.
8. Promote the objectives of the division and institution through service on committees and participation in special projects as assigned.
9. Post and keep office hours in accordance with the institutional and divisional policies.
10. Participate in special projects and serve on institutional committees.
11. Participate in staff development through format course work, seminars, workshops, professional organizations, or professional literary material.
12. Provide continuing education experiences for the community.
13. Actively participate in assessment activities within the division.
14. Other duties as assigned.
Hiring Range:(Contingent upon available funding): 0.00 - 0.00, Commensurate