Assistant Director - Academic Success and Advising Center
University of Colorado Denver
Academic Success and Advising Center
Position #2267 - Requisition #09332
Academic Success and Advising Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Assistant Director position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support for the teaching and/or educational service mission of the university. Functions include academic advising/counseling, student personnel administration, recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, faculty affairs, library services, curriculum administration, and others involving direct support of the educational mission of an academic unit.
Assistant Directors have responsibility for projects, functions or processes within a department. These positions may recommend strategy and provide professional support to Directors and may have the authority to act on the Director's behalf. Assistant Directors typically supervise other staff but do not generally control the allocation of fiscal or human resources.
This full-time professional position embraces a philosophy of student development to foster academic and student success by working with a team of advisors to provide individual and group advising to undergraduates from various schools and colleges. This position is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations with direct supervision over the professional academic advising staff, and supporting the director with fiscal duties and responsibilities. This position works closely with advisors, staff, and faculty from the undergraduate schools and colleges to provide timely and accurate information regarding majors, programs, and campus resources. This position will develop academic workshops and programs aimed at increasing student success, retention, and graduation.
The position contributes to the planning and/or implementation of on-going programs and efforts that include but are not limited to the Admission Promise or other community college to CU Denver pipeline programs, academic success initiatives, New Student Orientation, Degree Audit, remediation tracking and support, and Early-Alert. The position utilizes technology extensively to maintain and enhance the Academic Success & Advising Center's (ASAC) service delivery model though tools such as an electronic note-taking system, student information systems such as CU-SIS, and other platforms such as Starfish, Education Advisory Board's SSC platform, Degree Audit, Transferology, and so on. The position will work with the director to collect and analyze reports and/or data that inform evidence-based best practices to be employed by the unit and/or the university at large. The Assistant Director will work closely with the Director to provide ongoing professional development of center's staff. The position will coordinate and implement student engagement, retention, and outreach activities.
Please review the complete job description, including specific examples of work performed, at https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/a8cfd343-c0c6-4112-a85f-835ebf0029aa.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $48,750 to $58,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in education, communication, social science, women and gender studies, psychology, computer science, information systems, business, health sciences, physical sciences, public administration, business administration, higher education, counseling, liberal arts, human services, student affairs, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for student academic advising at a 2- or 4- year college/university with diverse student populations.
- A master's degree in related field such as public or higher education administration, social or behavioral science, education, or other related fields
- Two years' experience with supervision and development of professional staff
- Experience with report writing and data analysis
- Experience with developmental (holistic) academic advising/coaching at the college/university level.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of appropriate fiscal controls for the center's budget
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to successfully manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to make higher level decisions
- Ability to informally mediate disputes and other issues that will arise
- Adept at using various kinds of technology and proficient using Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work with diverse student populations and create inclusive environments within an education setting.
- Well-versed in the Student Information System (CU-SIS) or other student information systems, Degree Audit, and Early Alert
- Extensive knowledge of academic advising theory, current practices, and issues
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin May 9, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received after May 9, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30205 - AVCASA-SS Advising Center
Posting Date: Apr 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carlos Miron
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00002267