Professional Research Asst
CIRES/NCEI Software Engineer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder conducts collaborative research with NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). CIRES has an immediate opening for a Professional Research Assistant (PRA), well-qualified Software Engineer in NCEI's Coastal and Marine Geophysics (CMG) Branch. The successful applicant will be responsible for a challenging variety of duties related to the development of software-based solutions that meet science-driven requirements. Ideal applicants will have enterprise software development experience using both front-end and server-side technologies. A history of successfully working independently, and a flexible, upbeat approach to collaborating with colleagues is a must. Applicants must possess good analytical and problem-solving skills, and demonstrated experience successfully implementing and testing software applications. Applicants should also exhibit a strong attention to detail, and the ability to conceptualize user requirements into customer-friendly and efficient software applications. This CIRES position is located at the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado.
• Work with CMG scientists at NCEI to optimize CMG web applications that distribute NCEI data and products, and capture associated, meaningful data delivery metrics for reporting purposes.
• Execute a variety of tasks, as needed, in support of under-development and production-level operational systems (data portals, analysis and processing workflows, and web services). Tasks may include: application testing and deployment; public and private cloud provisioning; and management of system configurations and resources.
• Participate in running, debugging and monitoring software processes and systems. Seek innovative solutions to seemingly routine tasks, and develop processes, programs and scripts to automate operational procedures.
• Examine and evaluate current capabilities with a critical mind, in order to suggest new workflows, streamline operations, and increase system performance and reliability.
• Collaborate with CMG scientists to design and develop novel ways for web users to interact with, and explore, NCEI scientific data and products.
• Work with other lead software developers to implement well-tested and operational code, and resolve any software compatibility issues that may arise.
Decision Making and Problem Solving
• Apply appropriate software engineering analysis and design techniques to problem solving and code development. Take initiative to explore new approaches to routine problems. Advance personal knowledge and abilities in the field through personal reading, experimentation and appropriate training, classes and workshops.
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience
• Experience as a software engineer; demonstrated success developing a variety of software systems with responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and deployment tasks
• Experience developing data-driven applications incorporating relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture
• Able to perform quality work independently according to general guidelines and needs
Desired, but not Required Previous Experience
• Experience with the Groovy programming language and the Grails framework
• Experience with Oracle and/or other relational databases
• Experience with spatial data and databases
• Experience using version control, issue tracking and continuous integration
• Experience with AngularJS
• Familiarity with Spring projects
• General knowledge of computer system security (e.g. SSL, X.509 certificates)
• Experience with developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run in mixed-environments including Linux and Windows
• Understanding of software design patterns, object-oriented analysis and design
• Knowledge of NOSQL storage systems
• Experience in user centric geo-scientific software engineering projects considered a plus
For further information about the CIRES hiring process, please contact Carrie Wall (Carrie.Wall@noaa.gov)
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -One letter of recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Feb 23, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00178454