PAINT SHOP SUPERINTENDENT
JOB NO.: 90444-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: FP&M/PP SHOPS/PAINTERS
Categories: Facilities, Skilled Trades, Maintenance, Management/Supervisory, Quality, Risk Management and Compliance, Other
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90444-AS
Working Title: Paint Shop Superintendent
Official Title: SR TRADES SUPERINTENDENT(T44BN) or TRADES SUPERINTENDENT(T44DN)
Hiring Department: A717105-FACILITIES PLNG AND MGMT/PP SHOPS/PAINTERS
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $65,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
No Degree required
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Minimum 5-7 years work experience in the Paint, Glaze, Tile Setter, or Plaster trade, including maintenance, remodeling, and departmental projects. Experience assigning and reviewing the work of painters, glaziers, tile setters, plasterer, and apprentice as a lead worker or supervisor preferred.
License or certificate:
Must have completed an apprenticeship as a Painter, Glazier, Tile Setter, or Plasterer Journey or Master Level, or show equivalent training and experience to qualify for Painter, Glazier, Tile Setter, or Plasterer Journey status.
This position supervises employees and other related activities of the UW-Madison, Physical Plant, Paint Shop. Responsibilities of the position include, but not limited to, directing the operations of the Paint Shop, including, maintenance, remodeling, and departmental projects for the UW-Madison facilities, and assigning and reviewing the work of painters, glaziers, tile Setters, plasterers, and apprentices, when applicable. The position serves as shop liaison to customers, other trades groups, and management. Work is performed under general supervision.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Physical Plant is committed to the highest standard of professionalism and customer service for our university community.
* Knowledge of symbols, information, and terminology used in interpretation of blue prints, sketches, specifications, and on-site analysis to make accurate estimates of labor, equipment, and material needs and costs.
* Ability to read, interpret, and disseminate information contained in technical manuals, repair bulletins, modification work orders, drawings, specifications, and related instructional materials.
* Ability to effectively supervise and communicate instructions per specifications to direct reports.
* Ability to minimize disruption to classrooms and research laboratories.
* Possesses effective verbal and written communication skills to impart complex maintenance, repair or construction concepts and instructions to a trade and/or non-trade audience.
* Possesses effective conflict resolution skills.
* Knowledge of mathematics; ability to take accurate measurements and perform common computations.
* Experience leading and coordinating successful strategic planning efforts and implementing continuous quality improvement processes and programs.
* General knowledge of project funding procedures, job cost accounting procedures, timekeeping requirements, etc.
* Knowledge of procedures used in requisitioning materials, equipment, and supplies, and of university and state requisition and purchasing procedures.
* Possession of self-reliance, initiative, and independent judgment sufficient to diagnose and resolve complex and difficult repair, construction or related problems without advice or counsel from higher supervision.
* Knowledge of basic principles used in employee counseling, performance evaluations, resolving complaints, handling grievances, and administering discipline.
* Prior experience working in an open shop (union & non-union) a plus.
* Basic knowledge of employment interviewing techniques.
* Must possess a strong sense of priority and time management.
* Customer Service: Ensure that providing quality service is everyone's priority.
* Attend Safety meetings and training sessions when requested.
* Ability to be flexible, self-motivated, and quality oriented.
* Ability to maintain a professional and service-oriented relationship with customers and co-workers.
* Ability to present a neat, clean appearance at all times.
* Proficient with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Instructions to applicants:
To be considered, applications must be submitted online. Applicants must upload a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should specifically address the Required Qualifications listed in the Relevant Work Experience section.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 25 Apr 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 24 May 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time