Middle School Language Arts Teacher
We seek a candidate with expertise in Language Arts, Integrated Studies and the developing adolescent. We desire a candidate who is adept at working with a diverse group of gifted students with varying abilities, and therefore is able to differentiate curriculum, individualize and compact instruction and ensure a depth of conceptual understanding. This position requires a dynamic individual who models a passion for and expertise in Language Arts, and who can collaborate effectively with the history teacher to flexibly employ a Humanities model.
- Teach multiple Language Arts classes.
- Collaborate with the MS team and history teacher to integrate curriculum and/or team teach, when appropriate, around central themes.
- Assess student development and performance using a variety of assessment techniques and models.
- Create a differentiated, high level curriculum, including participating on a school-wide language arts curriculum alignment and development team.
- Support the school mission through the active involvement in the school community.
- Interact with and be involved with parents, including proactive outreach on both positive aspects of learning and areas for improvement.
- Implement and co-create a Seminar curriculum, which encompasses the Habits of Mind and allows the teacher to serve as a point-person for the grade level groups parents.
- Develop and teach electives on a variety of subjects to be determined in conjunction with the Assoc Director for Curriculum Ability and willingness to work with the school in a shift toward standards-based grading and reporting.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive, creative classroom environment.
- Set and participate in team goals focused on student growth and supported by growth data Work with an administrator in a coaching model around professional goals and participate in reflection on own performance on teaching rubric.
- Bachelor's degree in middle school level English education.
- Two years of teaching at the middle school level.
- Valid teaching certificate/license, special license, or licensable.
- Experience teaching gifted children.
- Graduate hours or Master's in education of the gifted.
- Experience teaching gifted children and twice-exceptional students.
- Experience teaching in a Humanities model of English instruction, or in a cross-curricular, integrated program.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Monday, May 8, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position please contact:
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.