Graduate Student Coordinator and Academic Advisor - School of Information Sciences (A1700249)
School of Information Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduate Student Coordinator and Academic Advisor
The School of Information Sciences (the iSchool) seeks a Graduate Student Coordinator and Academic Advisor to provide academic advising to all students in the Master of Science in Information Management (MS/IM) program and overall support and coordination for supplemental student programming that benefits the MS/IM students in their academic and professional pursuits. This position is part of the Student Affairs office at the iSchool and will contribute to the advising team by advising students one-on-one and provide academic advising programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a principal point of contact for MS/IM student advising, including but not limited to curriculum, registration, financial aid, and all matters related to degree requirements.
- Provide students with pertinent information about the iSchool and University academic policies.
- Deliver group advising sessions (both in-person and online) in regards to registration procedures, academic program structures, and how to successfully create an individualized graduate school experience.
- Coordinate and plan the MS/IM Student Seminar.
- Develop and maintain iSchool advising resources for the MS/IM program.
- Coordinate referrals to iSchool faculty, the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, the MS/IM Program Director, records staff, technology staff, and other UIUC units (i.e. DRES, financial aid, and counseling center).
- Collaborate with the iSchool Career Services team to develop workshops that support students in their professional development.
- Create assessment models for group advising sessions, professional development workshops and the MS/IM Student Seminar.
- Contribute to MS/IM recruitment efforts by meeting with and giving presentations to prospective applicants.
- Foster an inclusive environment that promotes a balanced, healthy student experience.
- Work non-standard hours (nights/weekends) as required.
- Other related duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit.
A Master's degree in an Information Science related field; program planning and evaluation experience; demonstrated ability to work highly independently and collaboratively, excellent communication, analytical, and organizational skills and the ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds is required. Academic or professional experience in information technology or systems, two years' experience with higher education student services, advising or related area and experience working with graduate students is preferred.
Information about the School of Information Sciences and its programs can be found at http://ischool.illinois.edu/. This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional position with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. The starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload your letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references, including contact information by May 22, 2017. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Candy Edwards at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon accepting of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Information Sciences
College Name or Administrative Unit: Information Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 04/24/2017
Close Date: 05/22/2017