Vice President of Research
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
AAUW conducts groundbreaking research on issues related to gender equity in education and the workplace. Through new and traditional media, targeted outreach to policymakers, and member efforts, AAUW research serves as a catalyst for action.
The Vice President of Research is responsible for conceptualizing and managing all aspects of the AAUW translational research agenda. She or he is expected to produce high quality reports on gender equity for a national audience, and to serve as a spokesperson for the organization. The Vice President of Research is a member of the leadership team, and participates in strategic planning and fund-raising.
The ideal candidate would have considerable collaborative skills and move easily between the academic, administrative, policy and community constituencies that shape and influence policies which align with AAUW’s mission. She or he has an excellent mind and broad vision, varied interests, a fresh perspective, balanced judgment and creativity; as well as a strong ability to negotiate, sustain, grow, and develop partnerships and interact with key audiences.
- Provide vision, strategy and executive accountability for the AAUW Research Program. Identify, develop, guide, and evaluate the department’s strategic direction, goals, policies, and research plans to ensure sustained superiority and visible mission impact;
- Supervise and manage research staff, interns and consultants;
- Represent AAUW in the media, academic and professional conferences, and other large public gatherings;
- Disseminate AAUW’s research products through papers, studies, reports, infographics, policy briefs, social media, blog features and other Internet communication formats;
- Assist the development team in conceptualizing fund-raising strategies and serve as a speaker at events;
- Collaborate with other AAUW departments to support and develop programs and outreach materials for the public;
- Assist in program evaluation and/or research agenda of AAUW departmental programs;
- Inspire colleagues to employ research in advocacy and programs; and,
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating the departmental budget.
- PhD in a social science or related discipline;
- At least 10 years of experience managing large policy-focused research projects and teams;
- Experience working in or with a research center;
- Knowledge of mixed methods research designs/methodologies including both quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, and presentation;
- Creative professional capable of designing and implementing a comprehensive program of research with corresponding funding strategies, promotions, conferences, and research activities with a high degree of professionalism, sensitivity, and integrity;
- Strong leadership, process management, administrative, and supervisory skills with creative teams in high-pressure situations; demonstrated ability to manage projects and engage and develop people;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, and the ability to work independently and in collaboration; excellent public speaking and media interview skills; engaging and authoritative public and on air presence;
- Ability to operate effectively in ambiguous situations; ability to influence and work collaboratively across the organization and with external stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal, relationship, and conflict resolution skills that include the ability to build productive working relationships across teams, levels, and functions to foster a collaborative environment of open communication with multiple stakeholders;
- Ability to handle tight deadlines, multiple priorities, and shifting demands;
- A demonstrated commitment to the values, mission, and philosophy of AAUW.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications, along with salary requirements by email, indicating position title (Vice President of Research) to: email@example.com.