Assistant Housekeeping Supervisor 1
Posting Date February 22, 2017
Position Title Assistant Housekeeping Supervisor 1
Vacancy # VC-369
Department Housekeeping Services
Division University Facilities
PREVIOUS: APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Under the direction of a Housekeeping Supervisor, organizes and supervises a staff of Senior Building Maintenance Workers in the completion of the Housekeeping Program. Provides first-rate service. Must be available to work all shifts, overtime and holidays.
• Conducts inspections of buildings, offices and other areas to note significant conditions and sees that needed work is done.
• Provides assignments to Senior Building Maintenance Workers and/or other Housekeeping employees and supervises the performance of their work.
• Prepares the employee's Performance Evaluation System.
• Supervises the work operations and functional programs of the department, and makes recommendations in the discipline of employees.
• Satisfies customer requests for housekeeping tasks.
• Makes oral and written reports.
• Assists with the maintenance of essential housekeeping records and files, including personnel timekeeping and service records.
• Will be required to use the housekeeping/facilities software management program (TMA).
• Follows all OSHA safety regulations, Blood Borne Pathogens guidelines, Fire Safety, university and department policies.
• Will report maintenance deficiencies and generate the necessary work orders to correct the situations. Closes work orders when work has been completed.
• Will communicate with supervisor/director on any concerns pertaining to the effectiveness and efficiency of implementing their housekeeping duties.
• Through one on one discussions, supervisors' meeting, memos, e-mails, the supervisor communicates his ideas, thoughts, or concerns on how the department is performing.
• Will communicate with employees through regularly scheduled meetings.
• Trains new employees in proper cleaning procedures and use of cleaning equipment.
• Responds to emergencies in a timely and professional manner.
• Provides information to the customer regarding work order status. Follow-up with the customer after the work is completed.
• Attend training sessions as assigned relating to housekeeping methods/equipment use, Supervisory Training, interpersonal communication and teamwork.
• Be willing to assist and share knowledge and experience with others to provide full and accurate information when turning over a job to another employee.
• At the end of the shift, communicated any issues to the next shift supervisor.
• May be asked, on occasion, to oversee Crew Supervisors.
• Performs related duties as required.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• A minimum of two (2) years of housekeeping experience in a large, complex institution is preferred, including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience in work connecting with housekeeping, sanitation and maintenance services.
• Ability to lift 20-25 pounds and climb a 6 foot ladder. Knowledge of cleaning techniques and proper use of floor care equipment.
• Knowledge of methods used in inspecting wards and other areas from the point of view of housekeeping maintenance standards and general order, safety and sanitation.
• Must have the ability to work with diverse populations. Must have the ability to read, write, speak understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position.
• Must be available to work all shifts, overtime and holidays.
Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Salary R15: $39,457 - $55,413 *NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula.
Salaries for external candidates are determined up to the fourth (4) step ($44,775).
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Please create a profile and submit cover letter and resume in one (1) file to the following link:
Apply By Open Until Filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION