Costume First Hand
University of Delaware
Job Title Costume First Hand
Job ID 104504
Location Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 27N
Deadline: Open until Filled
Context of the Job:
Under general supervision, the First Hand for the Resident Ensemble Players (REP) is responsible for the oversight of each built garment from the time it leaves the Draper through opening night. The First Hand cuts fabric, builds costumes and/or instructs stitchers in the construction. S/he attends fittings and dress rehearsals, keeping track of all notes through the costumes' completion.
- Prepares fashion fabrics and notions for cutting by laundering, dyeing, pressing, steaming as
- Receives pattern from Draper, lays out fabric and cuts pieces.
- Instructs and supervises stitchers in the construction of costumes.
- Stitches costumes as assigned
- Attends all mock up fittings and fabric fittings of all built costumes
- Assists Draper in pinning, marking, and documenting any alterations during fittings
- Attends dress rehearsals and manages notes coming out of rehearsal
- Acts as liaison to wardrobe staff regarding how costumes are to be worn, and in the proper care
and maintenance of garments.
- Instructs wardrobe crew on how garments work for quick changes.
- Drapes basic garments.
- Maintains a clean, uncluttered, and safe work environment;
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree with two years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Degree in Technical Theater or Theatrical Design preferred.
- Experience with costume construction and working with fabric.
- Ability to operate domestic and industrial sewing machines, and sergers.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings when required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html