Posting Number: 0001543
Job Title: On-Call Cook
Department: Dining Services
Position Status: Full-Time
Position Type: Temporary
Months per Year: Other
Work Hours: Saturday 12:00pm-830
Days off may change
Start Date (For temporary positions only): January 2017
End Date (For temporary positions only): May 2017
Position band/level: Union
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: SUMMARY
Assist in preparation, serving, and cleanup of meals and perform specialized duties as described below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned within classification.
1. Responsible for fundamental cooking techniques (e.g. knife skills, sauting, grilling, cooking, braising, etc.) Responsible for the proper utilization of all kitchen equipment, including the setup, breakdown, safety, sanitation and proper storage
2. Clean and organize refrigerators, freezers and all equipment needed in work station
3. Receive direction from Executive Chef/kitchen management/supervisors and/or senior cook regarding daily production responsibilities, this may include working a signature station with the assistance of a short order cook or student employees
4. Supply, cook, and/or serve customers as appropriate utilizing appropriate available equipment
5. Ensure the cleanliness and sanitation of work area and all equipment used on a daily basis
6. Confer with Executive Chef/kitchen management/supervisor as to additional duties in cleaning and food preparation
7. Organize and prioritize daily production in your station
8. Ensure that all food is properly prepared, served and stored in refrigerator and freezer in accordance with New York State Health Codes
9. When given tested recipes, follow recipe as given
10. Maintain quality standards established by management regarding appearance, temperature, texture, taste and presentation of all products
11. Effectively communicate with other employees all information necessary to insure efficient work flow and timely service to customers
12. Perform all duties regarding cleaning or food preparation as assigned
13. Assist in special events/catering events when assigned
14. Demonstrate knowledge of food preparation sufficient to assist senior cook in preparing any menu item
15. Assist Senior Cook in the set up and delivery of special diets
16. Assist Executive Chef/kitchen management/supervisor in filling out production records on a daily basis
17. Interact with customers and employees in a courteous and professional manner
18. Frequently check and record temperatures of food throughout the day in accordance with Dining Services Policies and New York State Board of Health Policies
19. Maintain a demonstrated interest in learning new ideas
20. Ability to speak and listen effectively and respectfully with supervisors, customers, and employees of the College
21. Maintain an appropriate image and dress
22. Establish and maintain a high level of customer service
Minimum Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); and three years work-related experience and/or training in cooking-related skills or equivalent combination.
Cook 6/01/2016 Page 2 of 2
Ability to read and interpret documents such as recipes, safety rules, operating and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine notes and supply requests.
Ability to add, subtract, divide, and multiply in culinary weights and measurements.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to utilize or learn basic computer functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
Serv-Safe/HACCP certified within one year of employment from classification date.
Physical Demands: PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, or those who are unable, to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach/lift with hands and arms; push/pull; climb or balance; stoop, crouch; talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds with appropriate equipment and assistance.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Required Applicant Documents: Resume
List of Three References
Optional Applicant Documents:
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for this position, please fill out an online application and attach the following documents: cover letter, resume and list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number of three professional references.
This system can support attachments up to 1.9MB. If you encounter difficulty attaching any one of the required documents, please contact Clarissa Sawyer, Employment Coordinator in Human Resources at: email@example.com or 518 580.5802
Pay Range: $15.20 per hour per union contract
Quicklink for posting: careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=57712
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.