Research Specialist I (Lab)
Requisition # 2017-7165
Department Molecular Biology
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 2/15/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
A full-time technician position is available in the Flow Cytometry Resource Facility (FCRF) laboratory in the Department of Molecular Biology at Princeton University. The FCRF provides support for Princeton University faculty and student research utilizing flow cytometry and fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS) techniques and instrumentation.
This position reports directly to the Flow Cytometry Resource Facility Director. Specific duties include:
- Assist with and carry out routine single color and advanced multi-color flow cytometry experiments with users (students, post-docs and faculty). Orient new users to the lab and directly contribute to the successful daily operation of the facility.
- Upon demonstration of appropriate knowledge base, training to operate several cell sorters will be provided with the goal of independent execution of a wide variety of FACS sorting experiments.
- Provide expert instrument (BD LSRII, BioRad S3e, UnionBiometrica BioSort, Z2 Particle Counter + new cell sorter) and software (FACSDiVa, FlowJo, FCS Express) training to new and established clients.
- Perform daily and weekly quality control checks on the benchtop flow cytometers. Keep accurate, legible records to monitor instrument performance. In concert with Facility Director, complete scheduled and unscheduled system maintenance as needed.
- Assist in maintaining instrument/experiment calendars and become expert in the use of iLab scheduling software.
- Archive all facility data and maintain workstation computers.
- Organize and maintain a resource reference library for users.
- Perform routine laboratory duties including ordering of lab supplies, general lab upkeep, disposal of laboratory waste, and routine maintenance of laboratory equipment, including weekly sterilization and monthly cleaning protocols. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Other duties as assigned by the FCRF Director.
Essential Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, biotechnology or related field is required. The candidate should have: strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal; independent critical thinking and problem solving ability; flexibility; and excellent attention to detail. Experience in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and the ability to work independently is required. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) software is essential. Submission of resume and cover letter is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous flow cytometry knowledge and hands-on experience with routine and advanced multi-color experiments is desirable. Two to three years' work experience in a laboratory environment is preferred.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.