Dean, Colorado School of Public Health
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Dean, Colorado School of Public Health
Position #609471 - Requisition 07716
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is an urban research university serving more than 18,000 students in Aurora, Denver, and online. We award more than 5,500 degrees each year. Our award-winning faculty and renowned researchers offer 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus has more than $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to a wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver.
The Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH) is a CEPH accredited collaborative school, comprised of three partners: The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus (as the lead institution), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The dean of the Colorado School of Public Health is responsible for leading the teaching, research, public health practice, and service mission of ColoradoSPH. The dean works collaboratively with the faculty and staff to develop, implement, and evaluate comprehensive strategic plans for all efforts of the school. S/He will work to identify, facilitate, and promote multi-disciplinary, inter- and intra-college/school, and international educational, service, research, scholarly, and creative activities. The dean ensures successful fulfillment of the school's mission "to promote the physical, mental, social and environmental health of people and communities in the Rocky Mountain Region and globally."
The dean of ColoradoSPH is a key member of the university's leadership team, serving as a strategist, advocate, leader, and effective spokesperson for academic and constituent concerns, as well as other matters related to the well-being of the school, consistent with the school's vision and mission. The dean provides vision and guidance in all aspects of the school's educational programs, research endeavors, outside funding efforts, and community outreach and service programs. S/he needs to recruit and retain a diverse pool of excellent faculty, staff, and students, enhance funded research, inspire philanthropy, and continuously improve the teaching and learning environment for students. The new dean will also be expected to encourage effective collaborative relationships within the school, with the partner institutions, and among schools and colleges within the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, especially those on the Anschutz Medical Campus where the administrative home of the school resides. The dean is expected to interact effectively with Colorado public health agencies and external advisory groups in promoting all aspects of the school.
Major Areas of Engagement/Examples of Work Performed :
The dean serves as the chief academic officer of the school and has full responsibility for academic programs and curriculum matters, the budget and development activities.
- Develop a shared vision with ColoradoSPH faculty, staff and students based on open communication and trusting relationships.
- Further the strategic objectives of the ColoradoSPH, including creating collaborative and innovative programs and opportunities for faculty, students, alumni, and public health practitioners.
- Lead the ColoradoSPH in building alliances with off-campus constituencies, businesses, government agencies, and the not-for-profit community to enhance the school's stature, its research productivity, and its funding and grant opportunities.
- Advocate for and actively lead efforts and activities to build a diverse and inclusive community among the school's students, staff, faculty, and community partners.
Recruitment and Retention of Talent:
- Identify, recruit, and retain outstanding and diverse talent at the faculty, staff, and student level with specific emphasis on skills and background consistent with the strategic objectives of the school.
- Lead the further improvement of relevant career focused educational programs in research, teaching and public health practice, including the delivery of off-campus programs.
- Increase the breadth and vitality of the ColoradoSPH by promoting the recruitment, retention and collaboration of distinguished faculty.
- Work with partners to assure sufficient space for faculty, staff and students on each campus.
Public Health Practice
- Foster and enhance relationships with, and identify opportunities for strategic partnership, with practice community and public health organizations
- Provide intellectual leadership and strong commitment to workforce development for the public health profession.
- Work closely with senior leadership at the collaborating institutions to advance the interests of the ColoradoSPH, including serving on university-wide and cross-university committees and taskforces.
- Ensure the school is run efficiently and effectively, and assure school-wide financial stability and growth, including oversight and participation in the budget, fundraising, and strategic planning of the school, in cooperation with the ColoradoSPH administrative directors.
- Represent the school to external constituents throughout Colorado, the region, nationally, and internationally, including alumni, public health professionals, members of the media, elected officials, boards, and donors, in cooperation with the ColoradoSPH external relations and public health practice staff.
- Meet agreed-on objectives for the school within the established budget.
- Increase the school's resource base by facilitating fundraising activities in and for the school.
- Work in consultation with the provost and in collaboration with other deans and partners to ensure a cross-university perspective on broad institutional matters.
- Shape and lead initiatives described in the university, campus, and school strategic plans.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Doctoral or equivalent terminal degree from an accredited institution (MD, PhD, DrPH, or similar) in a public health related field.
- Academic qualifications compatible with an appointment to the rank of full professor with tenure in ColoradoSPH at the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Demonstrated experience in administration and leadership at an academic institution (e.g., at the level of chair, associate dean, or dean), government agency, or other organization devoted to the promotion of health.
- Deep understanding of contemporary Public Health issues and systems.
- A record of accomplishments in public health research, practice and teaching.
- Demonstrated effective leadership in teaching, scholarship, and public service.
- Commitment to and a record of building a diverse and inclusive organization.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. For additional information contact Linda.Gallegos@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: To receive full consideration, please submit applications materials by January 9, 2017. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20133 - CSPH-Dean General Operation
Posting Date: Feb 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Linda Gallegos
Posting Contact Email: Linda.Gallegos@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00609471