Senior Professional Research Assistant - Research Nurse
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Senior Professional Research Assistant
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics, Pulmonology - Pediatric Research Airway Center
Senior Professional Research Assistant (SPRA), Research Nurse
Position #723666 - Requisition # 04450
**This part-time position will based in Kansas City, Missouri**
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a part-time, University Staff (non-classified) SPRA - Research Nurse to work remotely from Kansas City, Missouri for the Section of Pulmonology - Pediatric Research Airway Center/Department of Pediatrics. The section of Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine has 44 faculty (to include Sr., Jr., PhD and Nurse Practitioner Faculty) with on-going interests in asthma, interstitial lung disease, pulmonary hypertension, bronchopulmonary dysplasia, cystic fibrosis, sleep medicine and medical education.
The SPRA-Research Nurse will be responsible to conduct various research in a large animal intensive care unit setting in conjunction with the contract awarded by the Biomedical Advanced Research & Development Authority (BARDA), to study the development of an airway-delivered rescue treatment for a chemical inhalation-induced lung injury. The job location will primarily be at MRIGlobal, a Contract Research Organization in Kansas City, Missouri, with occasional need for travel to the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. The position reports directly to SPRA - Lab Manager, BARDA Program Manager, and PI.
- A detailed understanding of many evolving, complex studies conducted through the BARDA contract.
- Ability to successfully work independently and collaborate with principal investigators, co-investigators and MRIGlobal staff, as well as with other institutions.
- Develop, revise and update multiple research documents. Serve as liaison between collaborators and the PI conducting the studies. Assure that research projects fully comply with requirements of IACUC.
- The ability to interpret clinical laboratory values and titrate medications/anesthesia based on these laboratory values.
- A fundamental understanding of clinical parameters such as arterial blood gas, vital signs and the ability to manage care based on these parameters.
- Knowledge of basic pharmacology including medication interactions, and drug compatibility.
- An understanding of vascular access and maintenance of peripheral and central lines.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of protocols, budgets, conducting and coordinating experiments. Participate in data analysis and preparation of progress reports.
- Oversee individual experiments in lab environment.
- Assist with research and analysis, including coordinating logistics, implementing protocols for data collection and conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Conduct literature searches/reviews.
- Present papers and posters at scientific meetings and may participate in writing papers for publication.
- Work with appropriate institutional offices to assure experiments are within all Federal mandates and guidelines.
- Ability to successfully work in a collaborative, team environment
Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shifts during emergency campus closures.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Nursing or equivalent
- Experience (>1 year) working in a hospital setting
- Export Controls: Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
- Drug Testing: The selected candidate will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen. For this safety-sensitive position, the selected candidate may also be subject to reasonable suspicion and regularly scheduled (i.e. biannual or quarterly) drug screenings.
- Background Checks: The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Independent judgement and self-directed work capabilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, technicians, supervisors, trainees and administrators on a regular basis
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple and competing deadlines
- Capability to work with animal subjects
- Experience working in a collaborative, team environment
- Proficient knowledge of computer-based tools (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to work multiple extended shifts per week (12 hours each), including day and night shifts, and occasional holidays
- Work based in Kansas city at MRIGlobal
- Ability to travel to Denver, CO up to 6 times per year for 1-2 days.
- 1+ years' experience working with large animal studies, preferably swine, and technical procedures in a research laboratory setting
- Experience with phlebotomy and intravenous drug administration, including continuous infusions
- Experience with using iSTAT point of care testing
- Familiarity with Alaris infusion pumps
- Experience in interpreting clinical laboratory values and titrating medications/anesthesia based on these laboratory values
- Knowledge of basic pharmacology including medication interactions, and drug compatibility.
- Nursing care experience in an intensive care unit setting
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this part-time position will be between $35,000-$37,500 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 4450
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
- At least one professional letters of recommendation
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Questions should be directed to Gabriele.Cheatham@ucdenver.edu
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20952 - SOM-PEDS Pulmonary-GenOps
Posting Date: May 13, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gabriele Cheatham
Posting Contact Email: Gabriele.email@example.com
Position Number: 00723666