Lead Strategist-Patient Engagement
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Advancement
Lead Strategist for Patient Engagement
Position #731821 - Requisition 08487
The Lead Strategist for Patient Engagement will be a collaborative, creative and outcomes-oriented individual that provides the strategic vision necessary to build a new grateful patient annual giving program for the Anschutz Medical Campus, including the University of Colorado Hospital. The successful candidate will develop a comprehensive plan for donor marketing and new donor engagement and will be responsible for all aspects of fundraising activities including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, closure, and stewardship of all repeatable gifts less than $25,000 from alumni, grateful patients and friends of the Anschutz Medical Campus in order to generate philanthropic revenue and build a sophisticated major gift pipeline. The Lead Strategist will work with key stakeholders across the Anschutz Medical Campus to set multi-year objectives for donor retention, donor acquisition and donor dollars through multichannel marketing techniques that will drive donor growth.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for External Relations, this senior level position will be responsible for leading the university's high-level strategy for donor and patient giving between $1 and $24,999 while transitioning patients with capacity above $25,000 to the appropriate colleagues. Success in this role will be dependent on this individual's ability to effectively build partnerships across the campus; maximize the utilization of annual giving vendors, tools, and technologies; build and implement a comprehensive fiscal year calendar and budget for annual philanthropy; and strengthen and grow the donor base at the annual giving level. The Lead Strategist will understand and apply national best practices, processes, and technologies for annual giving and patient engagement in order to achieve an industry-leading program. Additionally, in collaboration with the System Advancement Leadership team and central annual giving team, he/she will work to ensure that centralized programs are considered within the strategy to engage patients. The Lead Strategist will have the opportunity to grow a team to include management of strategically identified positions.
- Establish, execute and evaluate a comprehensive annual giving program to increase patient, alumni and other constituents' support of CU Anschutz
- Creates annual strategic and operating plans; implements the plans and monitors and evaluates progress
- Develops a budget each fiscal year in alignment with the CU Anschutz Office of Advancement's priorities
- As the foremost expert in patient engagement and annual giving, communicates credibly with campus partners
- Works with campus communications teams to ensure that patient engagement and annual giving messaging is consistent with university standards and priorities
- Works closely with internal and external collaborators to provide visually appealing and cost effective communication pieces
- Articulates a vision for the patient engagement program; creates a plan to communicate this vision throughout the campus
- Once established, performs comprehensive analysis related to all aspects of the patient engagement program. Able to analyze giving trends in order to make course corrections and achieve fundraising goals during the fiscal year, as well as in setting annual goals and objectives
- Develops and implements a strategic plan of action with objectives, timelines, and evaluation plans for a multi-channel patient engagement program
- Maintains an active awareness of goals, objectives, and direction of the Advancement program as a whole
- Cultivates and maintains an understanding of fundraising priorities and initiatives on the campus
- Works with Advancement Reporting department to develop and refine reports on patient engagement and annual giving activity
- Researches and implements new marketing strategies to improve participation rates, average gift size, and overall revenue to various programs
- Provide leadership, professional guidance and consultative services to university and Anschutz Medical Campus partners and stakeholders on annual giving strategies, campaign execution, return on investment measurement, and prospect and pipeline-building opportunities
- Lead segmentation, data mining and modeling efforts for constituencies.
- Develop and utilize surveys and test marketing to determine best practices for generating, retaining and increasing gifts
- Benchmark with peer institutions to determine and adopt best practices
- Conduct feasibility analyses for annual giving programs that may advance business strategies
- Ensure compliance and consistency with all Advancement, HIPPA and/or other university and/or hospital policies and procedures in all aspects of fundraising, recognition and stewardship; make recommendations for efficiencies, where applicable
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of leadership-level annual gift prospects
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience working with hospital patient programs and/or donor engagement programs
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel in-state and occasionally out of state if needed
- Master's degree from an accredited institution
- Extensive experience in higher education annual giving (with a minimum of 3 years in leading annual giving teams)
- 5 years of management experience (3 years will be accepted for candidates with a master's degree)
- Previous experience with both targeted and mass direct mail
- Extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility for patient engagement programs
- Extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility higher education annual giving
Skills and Knowledge
- Proven ability to organize and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, to work collaboratively, and to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Very strong writing skills for a variety of project types, including but not limited to solicitation letters and emails and internal communications documents
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, interpersonal, and organizational
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques
- Proven ability to effectively utilize multi-channel marketing including social media and e-communications.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jason Leach at Jason.Leach@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 3/14/2017. Those who do not apply by 3/14/2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 21560 - ADM-EVC Foundation Anschutz
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jason Leach
Posting Contact Email: Jason.Leach@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00731821