Professional Research Asst
CIRES/GSD HPC Application and User Support Engineer PRA
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder seeks to fill a Research Associate (RA) position. This position will be within the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), Global Systems Division (GSD) in Boulder, Colorado (office will be in Boulder).
Provide HPC application and user support, and system optimization engineering for NOAA's Research and Development HPC systems.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering or related field. Five or more years of experience with usage and or support of moderate to large supercomputers. Experience running weather science workloads on large HPC clusters is desirable.
Required Technical skills
* Demonstrated skill in the usage and support of Unix- or Linux-based HPC systems including system optimization through application performance optimization, understanding of application scaling properties, workflow management, job scheduling, user resource management and user problem resolution.
* In-depth knowledge of the tools (editors, debuggers, performance analysis, etc.) required to effectively program and optimize HPC systems.
* Demonstrated skill in common supercomputer programming languages and in scripting languages such as perl and awk, and commonly used shells (sh, bash, csh, ksh, etc.).
* Demonstrated skill documenting technical requirements and procedures, and teaching others.
* Demonstrated communication skills with user support and with PC applications (Excel, Word, Google etc.),
Desired Technical skills
* Experience running and optimizing weather science codes on large HPC systems.
* Broad knowledge of computer science, HPC technologies, and trends.
* Demonstrated skill in conducting performance analysis evaluations on HPC systems, networks, and peripheral equipment, including the design and development of performance measurement tools.
* Knowledge of the tools required to effectively operate and administer HPC systems.
* Data assimilation and analysis for system optimization
* Experience in the operation, administration, and support of Unix- or Linux-based HPC systems, including provisioning, file systems, networking, and computer security.
* Understanding of HPC procurement activities, including requirements assessment
Management & Communication skills
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
* Skill in conveying complex concepts to others of various technical backgrounds.
* Experience dealing with user issues in a production, end-user service-oriented HPC environment.
* Demonstrated skill and good judgment in working with a variety of people including users, colleagues, vendors, and outside experts.
* Ability to work direct junior engineers and technicians
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: May 31, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00685149