ETL Senior Professional
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Office of Medical Education
ETL Senior Professional (IT Senior Professional)
Position #2248 - Requisition 08021
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an ETL Senior Professional. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position, which is housed in the School of Medicine's Office of Medical Education Educational Technology, is responsible for a large array of functions that support the M.D. students enrolled in the University of Colorado's School of Medicine (CUSOM). Under the direction of the Education Data Systems Manager, this position will be part of a small team responsible for building and maintaining a student data warehouse and the interfaces that connect to the warehouse. This system will be the central access to all student data, and will require complex security groups, the development of standard reports, and the creation of metrics in order to monitor data quality. This position will require a large degree of independence.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Design and develop simple to highly complex ETL packages to meet the goals of the Student Data Governance Committee.
- Interact and effectively communicate with the technology team and the data experts to collect and understand requirements.
- Produce metrics, alerts, reports, and dashboards for UME administration, faculty and staff enabling them to gain insight into student success and take appropriate actions.
- Design presentation layer(s).
- Conduct end-user training.
- Design quality metrics to support and maintain existing data models.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Education Data Systems Manager.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, information systems or other closely related field.
- Two (2) years of experience working in a data warehouse environment.
Substitution: A combination of education and relevant IT experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Hands-on, technical experience working on data warehouse projects.
- Experience using Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop in order to create Tableau reports for a broad range of users.
- Experience providing IT support in a higher education and/or medical environment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of databases, database technology, and SQL.
- Comprehensive understanding of best practices of ETL.
- Comprehensive understanding of technical requirement definition and data mapping.
- Ability to effectively work on an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to review work products for correctness, adherence to the design concept, user standards, and progress relative to schedules.
- Ability to serve as project manager for various ETL assignments.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and Access.
- Practical knowledge of the Microsoft SQL Server data management system.
- Excellent written, oral communications, interpersonal skills. Must be well versed in communicating with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to follow system development life cycle best practices, including: requirements gathering, development standards, quality control, release management, testing, documentation.
- Strong knowledge and experience building custom ETL mappings.
- Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft SQL Server and its Business Intelligence tool set.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Helen Macfarlane at Helen.Macfarlane@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20038 - SOME-DEAN EO UME
Posting Date: Jan 6, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Helen Macfarlane
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00002248