University of Colorado School of Medicine
Department of Pediatrics/Section of Hem/Onc/BMT
Position # 662849/ Job Posting #04515
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Hem/Onc/BMT has an opening for a full-time position Assistant Professor. This position will have approximately 75% time spent conducting laboratory research and 25% of time spent as a faculty member practicing Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant independently in the inpatient and outpatient setting. Provides comprehensive medical care to Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant patients and their families in both Inpatient and Outpatient Settings. Manages patient care in collaboration with other physicians, care providers and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Examples of work performed:
• Provides comprehensive medical care to Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant patients and their families, in both Inpatient and Outpatient Settings. Manages patient care in collaboration with other physicians, care providers and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
• Participates in research activities, clinical care and teaching. This is a 75% laboratory-based position.
• Duties in this faculty position include teaching, research, and clinical service responsibilities. In this capacity, the successful candidate will seek to evaluate and/or discover new biological pathways and targets for innovation and potential translation to clinical application.
• Actively supervise and mentor graduate students and post-doctoral fellows including offering career guidance and teaching.
• Your clinical responsibilities will include:
o Approximately 4 weeks per year coverage as the attending physician responsible for oversight of the inpatient Oncology service
o Share holiday and weekend call with other Hem/Onc/BMT faculty members
o Provide coverage outpatient clinics at Children's Hospital Colorado, which may also include occasional clinic coverage at the South, Colorado Springs Campuses or other outreach locations.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- MD or DO; must be board certified/eligible in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology; Must achieve board certification in in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology within five (5) years of completing fellowship training. Continuous Maintenance of Certification is required.
- Active Colorado state license and DEA certification;
- Meet all Children's Hospital Colorado credentialing requirements and maintain continuous active medical staff status.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to independently care for and manage complex Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/BMT patients in an academic setting;
- High customer service skills, team-based patient care, and ability to meet productivity targets are expected.
- Experience in independent care of pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT patients for at least one year after completion of Fellowship training;
- Record of independent funding of laboratory work, with preference given to candidates who have secured multiple grants and/or at least one cycle of renewed funding;
- Publication record indicating substantial contributions to area of scientific study;
- Experience with peer-review committees and national recognition in given field of study
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle records check.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers Review of applications will begin 4/1/16, and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume Questions should be directed to Adam Kanallakan - [email protected]
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Mar 25, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Adam Kanallakan
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00662849