Advanced Practice Provider
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The nurse practitioner or physician assistant will provide clinical care in the Emergency Department at the University of Colorado Hospital, as delegated by a person licensed to practice medicine in Colorado.
Principal activities include patient care in a "fast track" episodic care environment, working in a Clinical Decision Unit in the Emergency Department, as well as working collaboratively with Faculty Attendings on more complicated patients. Delegated medical care includes, but is not limited to, the assessment, treatment and care of patients of all age categories. It is expected the employee will be competent to interpret age specific developmental, physiologic and unique care needs by assessment and by observation of care delivery.
Specific duties will be as follows:
1. Performs histories and physicals on episodic, low acuity patients in the Emergency Department as delegated by physicians.
2. Collects, reviews and correlates data to assist physician in appropriate medical management of patients.
3. Assists physician by triaging and monitoring patients, referring for appropriate care as indicated.
4. Assists in scheduling patients for various clinical appointments and procedures. Participates in patient education.
5. Performs, or assists physician with, direct patient care services as needed. Administers medicine and therapeutic agents as directed.
6. Participates in performance improvement activities; quality improvement and patient safety activities; assists in maintaining compliance with JCAHO accreditation and other internal and external regulatory standards including the code of conduct.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
It is expected the employee will be competent to interpret age specific developmental, physiologic and unique care needs by assessment and by observation of care delivery.
1. Active and current license to practice as a nurse practitioner or physician assistant in the State of Colorado
2. Certificate of completion from a nurse practitioner or physician assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
3. Certification by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants or other agency
4. Current and active certification in basic life support (BLS)
5. Baccalaureate degree for physician assistants and Master's degree for nurse practitioners
6. Minimum of one year clinical experience in emergency care or urgent care post-graduation
1. Two years or more of clinical experience in emergency care or urgent care
2. Certification in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS)
3. Fluency in Spanish
4. Completion of post-graduate Advanced Practice Provider fellowship/residency in acute care
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 02793
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Apr 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Frances Schulz
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00007012