University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The University of Colorado, Department of Anesthesiology, has an opening for a full-time Nurse Practitioner/Clinical Nurse Specialist/Physician Assistant to work full-time nights with our inpatient Acute Pain Consult Service (APS).
The NP/CNS/PA will work in collaboration with the APS multidisciplinary team (Physician, Advanced Practice Provider, PharmD) to provide clinical care to inpatients referred to the APS. This care will include assessment and management of: post-surgical pain involving epidural, nerve block, IV PCA, ketamine infusion, and lidocaine infusion; consultations on acute and chronic pain.
The selected NP/CNS/PA will start with four to six weeks of training depending on their level of experience. This position will work 100% night coverage, two to three weekends a month, and partner with the other APS advanced practice providers to provide vacation/leave coverage. This night coverage position will primarily work independently with phone support from the on-call APS Attending Anesthesiologist and in-house support from the on-call Operating Room Attending Anesthesiologist. This is subject to change dependent upon the needs of the organization.
- Provides comprehensive assessment and management of pain for hospitalized adults
- Provides pain-related nursing and resident physician education
- Assists with monthly anesthesia resident orientation and onboarding process
- Participates in pain-related research and evaluation.
- Promotes an environment of mutual respect among the interdisciplinary team, referring services, children, and families.
- Practices holistically, considering patients' physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual needs.
- In collaboration with Pain Service physicians, obtains a comprehensive health history, performs a physical examination, and establishes a diagnosis.
- In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, evaluates and manages a follow-up plan based on the patient's response.
- Documents in the medical record the health appraisal date, history, physical findings, diagnosis, treatments, and progress.
- In collaboration with the interdisciplinary Pain Service, initiates requests for consultation to other healthcare providers.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to maintain good communication among families, primary care providers, and other referral services.
- Collaborates in the development of pain-related nursing procedure statements and protocols.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team in developing and implementing pain-related policies and procedures, order sets, and clinical documentation templates.
- Participates in quality improvement projects, including initiation and assisting with problem identification and data collection.
- Independently seeks opportunities to expand own clinical knowledge and skills and achieve professional development goals.
- Participates in professional affiliations and networks with professional colleagues.
- Participates on department/division/hospital committees as needed/requested.
- Graduate preparation in nursing (e.g., MS, DNP) or graduate of accredited PA Program
- National Certification as NP, CNS, or PA
- Licensed as NP, CNS, PA in Colorado
- Eligible to obtain or already have prescriptive authority
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible clinical experience in the acute or critical care hospital setting
- Prior experience with a pain service or in pain management
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 05676
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20138 - SOM-Anesthesiology
Posting Date: Jun 29, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tasha Mitchell
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00725832