Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplantation Laboratories
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position # 0731496 - Requisition # 08305
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant (PRA). This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is part of an exciting and fun research team, under the direction of Dr. Michael Verneris, that addresses innate immunity and differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells into the innate immune cell lineage (including ILC1, -2, -3 and natural killer cells) and how these immune cells affect human disease; and ultimately, how they can be manipulated to improve outcomes after cancer therapy, such as hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Our laboratory uses a combination of human and mouse models to better understand development from progenitor cells, expansion and function of innate lymphoid cells/natural killer cells. We are looking for full-time PRA's who are interested in studying the development and function of these cells who possesses cell culture experience, molecular techniques, such as qPCR, CRISPR/Cas9, and cloning, as well as, experience with multi-color flow cytometry.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Culturing of human hematopoietic stem cells.
- Culturing and differentiation embryonic stem cells (ES)/induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS).
- Multicolor Flow cytometry (FACS).
- Animal Experiments.
- Conducting experiments using techniques including, qPCR, cloning, Western blot, shRNA. transfection/infection, protein/RNA extraction, immunofluorescence microscopic cell imaging.
- Preparing data for discussion and presentation.
- Attending department conferences and meetings.
- Attending and presenting at lab meetings.
- Assisting with lab management, including purchasing and maintaining budgets.
- Supervising student research assistants when present, especially in the summer.
- Potential to participate in the operation of clinical trials in addition to lab duties if desired.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $37,000 - $55,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- BS/BA plus three years' experience.
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a National Criminal background check
- MS degree
- Experience using flowjo/kaluza flow cytometry analysis software.
- Previous experience with mouse models, including performing tail vein injections, sacrifice, lymph node and bone marrow harvesting.
- Demonstrated experience conducting experiments using: molecular biology techniques, including RT-PCR, quantitative PCR, cell culture of suspension cells and hematopoietic stem cells, magnetic bead selection to isolate rare cell populations from peripheral and umbilical cord blood; and multi-color flow cytometry using intracellular cytokine expression and/or phosphoflowcytometry techniques.
- Previous experience handling human blood products using universal precautions.
- Experience with graphpad prism and statistical analysis methods.
- Previous experience maintaining accurate documentation in a laboratory journal and reporting data and procedures obtained from separate projects, including oral presentations.
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skilled in using embryonic stem cells (ES) or induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS).
- Able to troubleshoot, design experiments, and collaborate amongst peers.
- Excellent communication skills using the English language.
- Skilled in tumor immunology and stem cell biology.
- Able to troubleshoot, design experiments, and collaborate amongst peers.
- Ability to follow and maintain protocols when handling hazardous materials.
Special Instructions to Applicants:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 5/1/17. Those who do not apply by 5/2/17 may or may not be considered. Questions should be directed to Ashley Yingst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8305
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Jan 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ashley Yingst
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00731496