Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
Full time Professional Research Assistant position in breast cancer research and metastases biology. Position is in the Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (Aurora, CO, USA). The lab studies the cross talk between cells in the brain microenvironment and brain metastases (Sartorius CA et al, Oncogene. 2015 Sep 28. doi: 10.1038/onc.2015.353).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Specific job duties include but are not limited to:
- Molecular Biology protocols (DNA, RNA, protein extraction, qRT-PCR, immunoblotting, cloning, etc)
- Cell line maintenance; good practice tissue culture skills (transient and stable transfection assays, viral-mediated transduction, co-culture assays)
- Immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, tissue sectioning (fresh frozen, PFA embedded)
- Ability to work with murine models: mouse genotyping, xenografts models, tissue collection, astrocyte isolation
- Processing and management of patient tissue samples (serum, normal tissues, tumor tissues and fluid).
- Maintenance of tissue/sample databases
The PRA should be able to design and perform experiments under minimal supervision and learn new techniques. The individual selected will keep a detailed notebook of experimental design and results. He/she will meet regularly with the faculty advisor to review progress as well as routinely present research results at laboratory group meetings. He/she will assist in the preparation of summary reports, presentations and publications based on the work. The individual will be responsible for assisting and in supervising undergraduate/graduate students and others working in the lab on related projects. The PRA will participate in general lab duties such as ordering and inventory management. The position offers some flexibility but primarily covers 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Only candidates able to commit for at least two years to the position should apply.
- BS degree. A minimum of 2 years of research laboratory experience with demonstrable experience in DNA and RNA extraction, qRT-PCR, cloning, western blotting, immunofluorescence, mammalian tissue culture, transfections, viral mediated transduction, basic mouse handling. Flow cytometry and advanced cloning skills (i.e CRISPR-Cas) would be a plus.
- It is expected the successful applicant will function well as part of a collaborative research team.
- The position is expected to be flexible for evening and weekend hours for collection and processing of clinical samples.
- Excellent communication skills using the English language.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 7645
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Nov 23, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joe Wozniak
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00621462