1) Major Functions
The Instructor-Acute Care Advanced Practice Nurse, in collaboration with the interdisciplinary Pain Consultation Service at Children's Hospital Colorado:
- Provides comprehensive assessment and management of pain for hospitalized children.
- Provides pain-related nursing education.
- Participates in pain-related research and evaluation.
2) Specific Duties
- Promotes an environment of mutual respect among the Acute Pain team, referring services, children, and families.
- Practices holistically, considering patients' physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual needs.
- In collaboration with Acute Pain Service physicians, obtains a comprehensive health history, performs a physical examination, and establishes a diagnosis.
- In collaboration with the Acute Pain team, evaluates and manages a follow-up plan based on the patient's response.
- Documents in the medical record the health appraisal date, history, physical findings, diagnosis, treatments, and progress.
- In collaboration with the Acute Pain Service, initiates requests for consultation by other healthcare providers.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to maintain good communication among families, primary care providers, and other referral services.
- Practices in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Collaborates in the development of pain-related nursing procedure statements and protocols.
- Assists with problem identification and data collection for research and/or quality improvement projects.
- Independently seeks opportunities to expand own clinical knowledge and skills and achieve professional development goals.
- Participates in professional affiliations and networks with professional colleagues.
- Participates on department/division/hospital committees as needed/requested.
This position is supervised by the Medical Director, CHCO Acute Pain Service.
No supervisory responsibilities
Examples of Work Performed
This position will provide APN coverage for the Inpatient Acute Pain Service. Although this is an APN position, the nurse in this 0.75 FTE position is expected to achieve prescriptive authority. Specifically, for hospitalized patients, the individual will round on inpatients, advance the treatment plan in consultation with the attending physician, and collaborate with the primary service to achieve comfort goals. The individual will collaborate with the Acute Pain team in developing and implementing pain-related policies and procedures. Pain-related research and evaluation opportunities will also be available. APNs on the Acute Pain Service work together to provide vacation coverage for one another.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers, refer to job posting 03232
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in Colorado
- Graduate preparation in nursing (e.g., MS, ND, DNP)
- Acute Care Certified PNP / FNP
- Experience in pediatric pain assessment and management
- At least 3-years of experience in pediatric nursing
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: 1) A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2) A current CV/resume 3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20138 - SOM-Anesthesiology
Posting Date: May 24, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Debra Immen
Posting Contact Email: Debra.Immen@childrenscolorado.org
Position Number: 00008166