Junior Software Developer (Temporary) - IMT
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The ideal temporary Junior Software Developer is a web, mobile, and API developer who has a passion for great user experience and shipping good products. They will be interested & excited about new technologies, and how agile teams can enable customers to meet new challenges with innovative software and services. This person will desire an opportunity to grow as a software developer, or DevOps engineer, developing your coding and professional craft as part of a team. We would prefer an obsessive learner that is excited to work in Higher Education IT, where we are committed to continuous improvement of our products, practice, and people. They must be self-motivated to work and achieve, creating their own experimental path forward when needed, yet thrive in a collaborative team environment. Their idea of fun is to be challenged by hard problems. They must be a systems thinker and love to build things that make an impact on people around the world every day.
- Bachelor's degree, in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or related IT discipline prefereed.
- 1-3 years of hands-on programming experience through employment, coursework, internship, open source contributions etc. (Github portfolio's welcome)
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- You will work on mobile applications upgrades and feature releases for a duration of 6 months
- Assist in the home.apu.edu portal upgrade project
- Develop new applications both mobile and web in order to enrich the APU student experience.
- As part of a larger team you will ensure that integrations between the mobile applications, PeopleSoft, and other 3rd party systems are functional.
- Work to improve the Android APU Mobile Application.
- In partnership with other departments you will develop software solutions to meet customer requirements at the direction of IMT.
- Always consider the scalability, resilience, and efficiency of backend and/or frontend components of the end to end solutions, partnering with IMT Engineering on deployment and operations strategies.
- Advocate for continuous improvement of IMT products and services. Actively looking for ways to make APU software and systems better in short iterations.
- Participate in peer code reviews and will be proficient in version control and regularly maintain code in our Git repository.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Mobile Frameworks (e.g. CodeIgniter)
- Working with Restful API's for integration and or intercomponent communication.
- Android and iOS development a plus.
- Team Tools: issue/feature tracking (Jira), documentation (Wiki), revision control systems (Git), unit testing, config and deployment management (bonus).
- Knowledge of Linux runtime environments, web/apps servers, containers, cloud (IaaS, PaaS) a plus.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.