Manages a UNIX, Novell, VMS, or similar computer network with up to one hundred workstations; performs a variety of maintenance, evaluation, installation, and training tasks to enable users to maximize productivity. Assists in planning and development of network resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Administers a network of up to one hundred workstations or assists in administration of a larger site or network, utilizing one or more TCP/IP or non-TCP/IP networking protocols and/or one or more UNIX-based or non-UNIX based operating systems.
2. Evaluates and/or recommends purchases of computers, network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software; provides technical consulting services to department/organization regarding use of computers and networks to satisfy business needs.
3. Installs, configures, and maintains personal computers, Novell networks, UNIX workstations, file servers, ethernet networks, network cabling, and other related equipment, devices, and systems; adds or upgrades and configures modems, disk drives, data acquisition boards, CD ROM units, printers, and related equipment.
4. Performs and/or oversees software and application development, installation, and upgrades; maintains site licenses for department/organization.
5. Plans and implements network security, including building firewalls, applying cryptography to network applications, managing host security, file permissions, and file system integrity, and adding and deleting users.
6. Troubleshoots networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
7. Develops and conducts various training and instruction for system users on operating systems, relational databases, and other applications; assists users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems.
8. May perform a variety of administrative support functions, including laboratory, facilities, or shop supervision.
9. May lead and/or guide the work of other staff or students engaged in similar functions.
10. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
• High school diploma or GED with 5 to 7 years of directly related experience; directly related, completed degrees from accredited institutions may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Knowledge of a range of computer networking systems and languages.
• Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
• Ability to install, configure, and maintain personal computers, networks, and/or related hardware and software.
• Knowledge of available computing and/or network hardware and peripheral equipment.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to provide technical guidance and training to end users.
• Ability to identify and resolve computer system malfunctions and operational problems.
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
• Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
• Knowledge of federal copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software.
• Position requires: a) Managing a computer network with up to 100 workstations; b) evaluating and/or recommending purchases of network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software; c) performing installation, maintenance, and training to maintain network as well as productivity of network users; d) planning and implementing all network permissions and security.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
NBS Enterprises creates competitive advantages. We isolate and overcome constraints to deliver performance value for all involved: you, your customer, and your employees. We break current market staffing trends with price-sensitive strategies solutions.
Our goal is to work in partnership with you, our client, become a trusted advisor and teammate to establish a relationship that provides you and your team with a competitive advantage at both the contract and at the task order levels. NBS' innovative 'Triangle' approach to staffing support provides you, your customer, and your future employee a risk mitigation solution that is second to none.
Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:50:54 PDT