Senior Building Maintenance Worker
The Office of Building Services is seeking several Senior Building Maintenance Workers to clean and maintain offices, buildings, furniture, and fixtures in assigned facilities, and to perform other related duties, including performing snow removal activities. Reporting to a Crew Supervisor, the Senior Building Maintenance Worker is a full-time position that may be required to work weekends and overtime shifts.
Responsibilities include working independently or as part of a larger team to provide cleaning services in various buildings such as:
- Cleaning and servicing building areas, including, but not limited to lobbies, stairwells, hallways, elevators, conference rooms, lounges, classrooms, auditoriums, lecture halls, gymnasiums, locker rooms, restrooms, bathrooms, shower areas, offices, laundry rooms, and kitchen areas, using appropriate chemicals and/or cleaning agents and specialty equipment; and, ensuring that all restrooms, bathrooms, shower areas and kitchens are fully stocked with paper towels, toilet paper, and soap
- Cleaning and servicing various furniture items and fixtures contained within campus buildings, including, but not limited to, desks, tables, dressers, beds and other furniture, blinds, windows, woodwork, toilets, sinks, showers, vents, light covers, blackboards, whiteboards, etc. using appropriate chemicals and/or cleaning agents and specialty equipment
- Cleaning and servicing the area at entrances to ten feet outside of assigned building, including, but not limited to, sweeping of surfaces, removal of litter, and cleaning of ash urns adjacent to building entrances
- Collecting and disposing of refuse, trash and recycling from assigned building; ensuring that single stream recycling is occurring at the point source through awareness, education, proper collection bags, and appropriately labeled containers; and, monitoring and picking up litter around dumpsters adjacent to assigned buildings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
One (1) year of experience in work involving the inspection, cleaning and maintenance of furniture, fixtures, offices and buildings; High School Diploma or GED; Possession of a valid driver's license in good standing issued from the state of residence is required; Preferred: Experience in a large institutional setting (e. g. higher education, school districts, hospitals)
Required Skills and Abilities
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to provide for high levels of customer service to the campus community
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English
- Ability to traverse stairs while carrying at least twenty-five (25) pounds of equipment or supplies
- Ability to walk distances in all weather conditions, navigate stairs, bend, kneel, stretch, and negotiate tight spaces
- Ability to push and pull a cart or equipment on wheels that can weigh as much as seventy (70) pounds
- Ability to endure adverse weather conditions through all four seasons
- Ability to carry out verbal and written directions, and to learn quickly from verbal and written explanations and/or physical demonstrations
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and be on feet all day
This position is a New Jersey Civil Service position with the state title Senior Building Maintenance Worker. It is included for membership in the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE) bargaining unit. The starting salary for this position is Range C08, Step 1, $28,871.95. Permanent appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a 4-month probationary period to access the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
The College offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and prescription plans as well as pension, paid leave time and tuition savings programs.
Under a residency bill signed into law by Governor Chris Christie, any individual hired on, or after September 1, 2011, will be required to establish a principal residence in New Jersey unless their position is exempt. New employees will have a full 365 days to establish such residence, from the effective date of hire. Any new employee who believes that they have a critical need to live outside of New Jersey, or that a move to a permanent residence within the state would constitute a hardship, may request an exemption from the provisions of the law by appealing to a five-member committee to be established by the State for the purpose of hearing such appeals.
Please forward a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three (3) professional references to: email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled. Final offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and employer funded physical.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer and educational institution supporting diversity. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Apply for Senior Building Maintenance Worker
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly