Limited Term Researcher -Design Engineer
University of Delaware
Job Title: Limited Term Researcher -Design Engineer
Job ID: 103706
Location: Newark, DE
Limited Term Researcher Design Engineer
This is a grant funded position
Deadline: Open until filled
The University of Delaware Center for Composite Materials (UD-CCM) is looking for creative individuals who have a passion for the development of advanced composite materials and structures. The environment at UD-CCM fosters a fast paced engineering environment for skilled engineers who are able to provide novel solutions by combining state of the art industry technologies combined with research and development of new technologies. This entry-level engineering position will assist CCM personnel in a major research program developing the next generation composite material designs and processes. Ideal candidates will have experience with composite materials, either through coursework or hands-on experience with engineering societies. UD-CCM has 52,000 sq ft engineering and prototype fabrication facility with the new research program establishing a one-of-a-kind Pilot Innovation Facility to manufacture novel composite material forms. We offer competitive salaries when combined with the excellent benefits of the University of Delaware (see www.udel.edu for more info).
- Support the development of table-top to pilot scale concepts for manufacturing composite materials.
- Work with small teams where you have influence on process development projects from concept through to final fabrication.
- This activity includes assembly design, process flow, line layout, creation and design concepts for fixtures, tooling and equipment, and troubleshooting.
- Prepare drawings and schematics using SolidWorks, Autodesk AutoCAD or similar CAD design packages.
- Present work including theory, approach, results, and conclusions to CCM, and provide input concerning results, suggested modifications for future work, etc.
- Write reports on the work performed in the form of internal research reviews, and external progress reports for government or commercial projects under contract.
- Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years of experience in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Polymers/Composites/Coatings (coursework, society etc), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with CAD design including product assemblies and drafting.
- Proficient using computers (Windows operating system/Microsoft office suite)
- Ability to work in team environment and set own priorities based on project schedule
- Ability to train and coordinate engineering and research efforts with student interns
- Effective communication (oral and written) of design documentation (reports, drawings, etc) and engineering presentations
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers in a professional manner
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html