Assistant Director of Graduate Education
Working Title: Assistant Director of Graduate Education
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Dean's Office, School of Eng and Applied Science
Posting Date: 04-20-2017
The School of Engineering & Applied Science at the University of Virginia seeks applicants for an Assistant Director of Graduate Education. The incumbent will work with the Director of Graduate Education and the Graduate Programs Office toward the planning, development, and implementation of school-wide programs and initiatives that support UVA Engineering graduate students. This position will also work with the Center for Engineering Career Development to provide career advising for graduate engineering students and postdocs.
The successful candidate will work with the Director of Graduate Education to:
- Implement strategies and policies related to and impacting graduate affairs in the School
- Assist with developing and executing a pro-active, year-round graduate student recruitment program that will include activities such as attendance and recruitment at key conferences,
- Plan and organize on-Grounds graduate recruitment events
- Collaborate in the development of effective and up-to-date marketing materials
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies and initiatives to increase under-represented groups in the SEAS graduate student body
- Organize new graduate student orientation
- Assist the Director of Graduate Education in developing programs to prepare students to be professionals and leaders in their fields.
Additionally, the successful candidate will work with the Director of Career Services to:
- Advise students on career development, including self-assessment, career decision-making
- Perform CV/resume critiques
- Assist with job search strategies
- Design personalized professional development plans
- Build relationships with alumni and professionals with the goal of expanding the career connections for graduate students and to strengthen our relationships with potential employers
- Plan and organize programs that connect employers and alumni with students, including networking events, career panels and employer site visits
- Develop relationships and collaborate with Engineering faculty, staff and the career services community across Grounds
- Develop procedures to effectively evaluate programs and student services for graduate students
- Research program trends and challenges at peer institutions and make informed recommendations for programming
- Attend annual conference for Graduate Career Consortium and related events
- Help develop appropriate internship and experiential opportunities for graduate students.
- Assist graduate students in securing employment post-graduation, including post-doctoral positions, faculty positions, entrepreneurship and roles in government and provate industry.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to promote our Ph.D. students to faculty and Deans at other institutions
Qualified candidates will possess a broad knowledge of higher education policies and procedures, excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills and a strong desire to work with students, faculty, and administrators from across the School and University.
A Ph.D. in any STEM field or in higher education is preferred with at least 5 years of experience advising and mentoring graduate students.
To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0620784. Complete a Staff Application online, attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references.
The position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to Shannon Barker, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Qualified candidates will possess a broad knowledge of higher education policies and procedures, excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills and a strong desire to work with students, faculty, and administrators from across the School and University
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81671