Director of International Student Engagement
Full-time, year round position, salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Director of International Student Engagement provides vision and leadership in creating systems, structures, operational designs, and policies to ensure all international students thrive on our campus. The Director oversees immigration services, design methods for general counseling and support to international students, and serve as a visionary and architect for student-based programming. The Director also works with academic departments supporting international faculty and Language Assistants and evaluates the efficacy of our current systems of engagement relative to that community. The Director liaises with the Study Abroad Office to ensure a global perspective in international student engagement and programming. The position reports to the Associate Director for Diversity and Inclusion.
The Director takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Program Development and Evaluation
- Evaluate the advising program and create a set of recommendations for continuous quality improvement and future models for program evaluation
- Evaluate and oversee annual processes which orient students to campus resources
- Conduct SWOT analysis for current Koenig Scholars program and create metric systems to gauge quality improvement for engagement of those scholars
- Conduct SWOT analysis for current UC Davis Scholars program and make recommendations for program improvements
- Oversee and evaluate social and resource-based programs (typically 2-4 per month)
- Analyze current “reach” of international student programming to invigorate methods of engagement
- Design, implement, and oversee a comprehensive International Student Orientation program
- Ensure efficient processes to help students maintain Visa status
- Create plan for thorough and consistent engagement of immigrant students
- Evaluate and oversee OPT processes and make recommendations for continuous quality improvement
- Innovate and oversee case management for Visa maintenance
- Innovate and oversee case management for SEVIS records maintenance
- Evaluate efficacy of technological platforms for case management as appropriate
Marketing and Communications
- Lead comprehensive campaign to socialize re-naming of the former Office of International Student Services
- Oversee and implement comprehensive re-branding and marketing efforts made possible by office newsletter and other vehicles of communication
- Re-create office website to a more dynamic and all-encompassing site/resource for all international students
- Oversee smooth day-to-day operations of office
- Consistently evaluate operational efficiencies and opportunities to streamline processes
- Evaluate resource allocations and make recommendations for necessary systems of support
- Supervise the International Student Engagement Specialist
- Master's degree or foreign equivalent
- 7 years of progressive experience working in international student services or other areas closely related to international education and immigration matters
- Program development, implementation and evaluation experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Knowledge of SEVIS, and F-1, J-1, and H-1B visa regulations, U.S. laws and regulations affecting international students' and scholars' visas, student status, on- and off-campus work, the rights of students' dependents, taxes, and Homeland Security concerns.
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status to meet federal requirements to serve as a Designated School Official and Responsible Officer.
- Cross-cultural awareness and competence and effective communication, both verbally and written.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, time management and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Master's degree in education or a social science field of relevance to international affairs
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!