Biology Technical Assistant (1GE17)
VACANCY (POSITION) NUMBER: 1GE17
RESPONSIBLE TO: Dept. Chair: Sciences
STATE CLASSIFICATION: Research Specialist II
LOCATION: Aiken Technical College, Aiken, SC
STATE SALARY RANGE: $32,838-$46,799
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time, Monday – Friday
JOB DATE: May 2017
OPENING DATE: April 20, 2017
The Biology Technical Assistant is responsible for the preparation of all biology laboratory classes, including set up of equipment, laboratory specimens, media, solutions, and supplies needed to conduct laboratory classes. Responsible for teaching laboratory sections of various biology courses each semester. Teaching load may vary each semester.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, prepare and set up materials for biology laboratory classes.
- Instruct laboratory classes using guidelines established by supervisor. Interface with lecture instructor(s).
- Clean biology laboratories and laboratory materials. Coordinates the recording and disposal of hazardous waste for the biology labs.
- Organize biology materials as required for safety and inventory control.
- Assist biology faculty with student examinations.
- Monitor open laboratory sessions.
- Manage inventory by ordering supplies and equipment. Assists in maintaining, repairing and upgrading equipment on a regular basis to include coordinating repairs through contractual services.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor. Participate in College-wide activities and Committees.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: A Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, biology, or other natural, life, or health care science and two (2) years journey-level work experience related to the assigned research area is required. Bachelor's degree in Biology and six (6) months of relevant work experience in a laboratory setting preferred (microbiology experience preferred); college-level teaching experience preferred.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please apply online at www.jobs.sc.gov. Unofficial college transcripts are required for all degrees earned and may be attached to the online application, faxed (803-593-8203), emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mailed (P.O. Drawer 696, Aiken, SC 29802). All application materials must be submitted by the closing date. The application must be completed including all current and previous work history and education. A resume may be attached, but not substituted for completing work history and education sections of the application. In lieu of higher education degree, please include high school history. International transcripts must be evaluated through World Education Services. Scheduling of interviews will begin on April 28, 2017 and the position will remain open until filled.
Aiken Technical College is an equal opportunity employer committed to having diversity throughout the College. Any requests for reasonable accommodation to apply for this position should be directed to Human Resources by calling 803-508-7497, or writing to the above address. Requests for accommodations must be made by the above-stated deadline.