Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence
Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence
Job Number: 74719
JOB PURPOSE: Institutional Research & Decision Support (IR&DS) is looking for an experienced data warehousing and business intelligence manager to lead the design and delivery of effective information solutions relating to the performance of the university's teaching and research missions. This newly created position is responsible for providing support for local, IR&DS ETL processes and data collections, as well as helping to architect campus-wide solutions in partnership with the University's central IT group, including leading the Student Integrated Reporting and Information System (SIRIS) project. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence will manage a group of 4+ analysts/developers in creating and/or specifying data solutions for a range of university-wide reporting subjects, especially (but not exclusively) those related to students and teaching. The position reports to the Associate Vice Provost and Director of Institutional Research & Decision Support. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence executes substantial technical and managerial efforts with a university-wide focus, supporting IR&DS as the source of record for business intelligence related to the university's teaching mission. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence will perform advanced project and analytical work in a wide range of business intelligence activities that ensure the uniformity, accuracy, and semantic consistency of enterprise data through the application of effective data management, security, stewardship, and governance processes. The Director of Decision Support and Business Intelligence will serve as a liaison between IR&DS and central University IT units, and should have a solid technical background in data warehousing and business intelligence applications. As part of a central analysis and reporting unit, this position interacts with a wide variety of campus stakeholders, and requires someone skilled in understanding and interpreting the information needs of a broad group of campus community members. Additionally, the position exercises major programmatic impact in designing information solutions for the academic leadership of the university. CORE DUTIES*:
- Lead and manage technical experts responsible for the development of information solutions, from definition phase through implementation
- Lead universitywide complex business intelligence reporting and analysis initiatives, such as the SIRIS project ensure initiatives directly support the organizational mission and are delivered on schedule and budget.
- Provide technical direction for the Decision Support Systems warehouse.
- Provide complex analysis and recommendations regarding data management and the design of dashboard and reports oversee the development of interactive query tools and dashboards for central and distributed users.
- Lead, hire, coach, and evaluate performance of staff. This position currently supervises a team of four people.
- Create and execute business and technical plans, and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Write plans and charters for business intelligence and other analytics and reporting projects.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policy and federal and state regulations.
- Evaluate and assess metrics and program effectiveness review trends and monitor proactively.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and programs to ensure success, development of employees, and appropriate use of staff resources.
- Lead student data stewardship efforts and develop the metadata supporting the applicable reporting systems.
- Troubleshoot business intelligence environment problems and seek opportunities for improvement; coordinate with application team to resolve application bottlenecks and performance issues.
- Substantial experience with the design of data for reporting solutions, including data warehousing, relational and dimensional logical data modeling.
- Experience designing ETL processes and experience with ETL tools, such as Informatica's PowerCenter.
- Indepth knowledge of and ability to use analytical and business intelligence programs such as OBIEE, Business Objects, Tableau, R, and others.
- Experience with student data, experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions is particularly desirable, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability with enterprise applications and database driven applications.
- Strong project management skills.
- Extensive experience in data analysis and root cause analysis and proven problem solving and analytical thinking capabilities.
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and make decisions that meet university objectives, in a collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Exceptional stakeholder relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret campus policy, structure, processes and data needs. Ability to understand questions from campus stakeholders and propose effective information solutions to meet their needs. Ability to serve as a translator between campus stakeholders and technical groups.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, proven presentation experience and comfort with senior management audiences, and effective facilitation skills with diverse groups.
Job: Information Technology Services
Location: Offices of the President and Provost
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.