Manager of Equipment and AV Services/IT Senior Associate, Level 1(Temporary Title) - Graduate Schoo
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, which will began its 10th year of operation in September 2016, prepares students from a broad range of economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism at a time of rapid change.
As the profession reinvents itself for the digital age, the CUNY J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the tools to find stories and tell them effectively — using print, visual, interactive, and social media.
The school offers three degree programs: a Masters of Arts in Journalism, an M.A. in Entrepreneurial Journalism, and an M.A. in Social Journalism. Among its other cutting-edge initiatives, it is about to launch a unique Spanish-language subject concentration to train bilingual students interested in covering Hispanic communities in the U.S. and abroad.
The Manager of Equipment and AV Services, under general direction of the Assistant Director of Technology and with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, oversees the proper care and timely deployment of high level Video and Audio recording equipment to students, faculty, and staff as well as maintains the AV infrastructure throughout the campus. The incumbent ensures the timely delivery of technical services and meets customer and service standards. S/he is the lead person for the coordination and effective operations of the Equipment Room staff.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates efforts with CUNY Journalism database administrators, Network infrastructure personnel, Web, IT, and Broadcast teams as needed;
- Coordinates major intra- or inter-college projects;
- Develops training materials at the direction of management and instructs faculty and staff on specific topics;
- Diagnoses, evaluates, and resolves complex problems in areas of expertise, communicating resolutions in an effective manner; instructs others on implementation of resolutions;
- Facilitates the set-up, execution, and breakdown of events at the school including maintaining a schedule of events that require technical support; events may occur outside regular work hours and the Manager will work with other staff members to ensure technical coverage;
- Implements uniform performance standards, procedures and efficient methods of work for the Equipment/AV staff; establishes systems, quality control, and performance standards; explains these standards to others and administers compliance activities;
- Interacts with vendors to ensure proper support of equipment and AV infrastructure as needed; reviews, solicits, and evaluates bids; coordinates the implementation of selected large contracts, monitors contract compliance, and provides recommendations on contract renewal;
- Maintains responsibility for the planning, analysis, implementation and maintenance of systems including contingency and capacity planning and quality assurance;
- Maintains standards for safety and for the proper use of equipment and tools;
- Makes formal presentations and submits written reports;
- Oversees day-to-day departmental administration by coaching and motivating Equipment/AV staff to maximize their experience and skills;
- Participates in and/or may direct administrative task forces;
- Plans and organizes studies on the effectiveness of policies, programs and procedures;
- Prepares and delivers complex operations reports concerning overall plans, activities, performance levels, and budgetary compliance of the Equipment/AV team; prepares and/or reviews equipment and AV infrastructure studies and specifications, and evaluates performance for improvements;
- Prepares budget requests; develops programs for cooperative planning, allocation, or consolidation of resources;
- Promotes and maintains high-quality of customer service; communicates technical and customer service issues to staff members;
- Studies current and potential problems and develops appropriate solutions; determines if training on related systems are necessary and communicates training requirements to management;
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates staff; develops and maintains training materials for new and existing staff, establishes performance goals, follows up with staff, and conducts year-end performance evaluations;
- Works cooperatively with the college community to develop strategic and tactical plans to facilitate and coordinate the highest level of technical service for field recording equipment and in-house AV needs; coordinates, develops, and implements project plans to deliver these services; maintains open communication with other technology teams and planning committees to assure efficient processes are implemented and to coordinate projects with overlapping responsibilities; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Experience in AV, equipment rental, Video and/or Audio Production.
- Experience in hardware and applications support including diagnosis of problems and repair.
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulate key requirements to peer areas: Broadcast services and IT Support services.
- Strong decision-making skills.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
_REVISED PENDING TITLE CLASSIFICATION__
May 18, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: School of Journalism
Job Title: Manager of Equipment and AV Services/IT Senior Associate, Level 1(Temporary Title) - Graduate School of Journalism
Job ID: 15403