Director of Pre-College Programs
University of Delaware
Job Title Director of Pre-College Programs
Job ID 104393
Location Newark, DE
Director of Pre-College Programs
Pay Grade: 32E
The Director is responsible for connecting middle-school and early high school students to post- secondary opportunities and associated preparation, especially as it relates to the University of Delaware. The Director will create a confluence of effort among the many agencies both internal and external to the University whose missions include outreach to pre-college populations, focusing especially on those that may serve as a pipeline of diversity and talent for UD. The Director will engage with Community Based Organizations (CBOs) throughout the region to develop synergy with existing programming and to create new partnerships. The Director will work closely with the State Department of Education to seek opportunities for collaboration. A strong focus of the position will be to foster preparation for, access to, and success within institutions of higher education - UD in particular - for historically underserved groups. The Director will ensure that all outreach conducted to precollege populations by UD personnel includes appropriate connections to future enrollment at the University. The Director of Pre-College Programs reports to the Executive Director of Admissions.
- Develop and implement summer college programs that broadly serve to attract high school students from around the world and showcase the University as a desirable destination for their future matriculation. Reengineer existing programs to capitalize on this vision.
- Engage with existing UD programs that reach out to precollege populations (Trio, Rise, Fame, etc.). Develop synergy, shared purpose and, where appropriate, shared resources among the various programs. Ensure that all programs include a connection to UD as future destination.
- Lead a collaboration of Community Based Organizations in the development of programming that supports the preparation of precollege student populations historically underserved in higher education, especially first generation, low income, and students of color. Provide technical expertise with regard to effective practices that are most likely to result in improved preparation for and access to the University of Delaware, ultimately paving the way for future success.
- Develop opportunities in conjunction with the State Department of Education that will help Delawareans prepare for success as potential future students at the University of Delaware.
- Develop a heightened awareness throughout the State of the Commitment to Delawareans. Be sure C2D is acting as a conduit for increased preparation and access for all Delawareans, beginning in middle school.
- Work with districts throughout the State to identify potential obstacles to enrollment for students, and seek to remove those barriers. Collaborate closely with appropriate UD partners and, where appropriate, with external agencies to enhance pathways to UD for historically underserved groups.
- Ensure UD is on the cutting edge of programming that creates opportunities to engage successfully with precollege populations. Present cutting-edge work on the national stage as a showcase of effective strategies that maximize the scholarly development of diverse and talented precollege populations.
Bachelor's degree in a related field; Master's Degree preferred. Engagement with research on pipeline issues in higher education. Experience working with precollege populations in an outreach capacity. Experience working in higher education, preferably at a director's level. Supervisory experience required.
Weekend and evening work required.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html