Sr. Systems Administrator
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for resolving technical incidents and problems preventing our customers' IT from being up, running, and available at all times. The SA is expected to resolve issues/requests quickly yet with a high degree of quality, keeping an appropriate balance between time management and quality control. The SA is expected to be fluent within our ticketing system and be adept at addressing issues appropriate to their expertise. The SA is also required to show persistence in resolving an issue while also understanding when to escalate or ask for assistance. The SA will be assigned to a group of clients to be their virtual IT Manager and be ultimately responsible for the health of assigned customer systems. The SA will also be required to contribute on scheduled external and internal projects based on their expertise (billable projects, on-boarding, off-boarding, infrastructure). The SA will assist with other client requests, escalations, and provide backup for co-workers. The SA is expected to keep up on industry trends and continue to improve their capabilities.
- Ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organization standards. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
SA Engineering and Provisioning
o Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
o Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures
o Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches to system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
o Administer servers, desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, phones, mobile devices, software deployment, security updates and patches.
o Perform daily system monitoring, verifying integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
o Administer customer backups, ensuring all RPO & RTO goals are met or exceeded.
o Tier III escalation support
o Technical lead for recovery efforts
o Patch management
o Create and maintain configuration management procedures and customer documentation
o Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
o Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
o Maintain data center environment and monitoring equipment.
- Part of the project teams with responsibilities including definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling out solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
- The SA has to know how to handle problems and find solutions. They need to be able to work well under pressure and sometimes within strict deadlines. Must work quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Should be a team player and a skilled negotiator. This position deals with a variety of problems. It is up to the SA to make sure the questions/issues are clear so that good decisions can be made. Decisions normally have a noticeable effect on individuals, departments, or company-wide. The SA will need to know boundaries and what decisions need to be approved and by whom.
- Responsibilities can require working evenings and weekends
- Participate with onsite service escalation and meetings requests as needed
- The SA will need to interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people. The SA will regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. Communication needs to be clear and concise and will involve written, as well as, verbal interaction with technical and non-technical customers and peers.
- Assists with team building in the work unit; responsibility for training, instruction, setting the work pace, and quality control. The SA must fully understand the client's business needs and plans for growth in order to guide, train, and advise. Mentoring of local IT staff, as well as co-workers will be necessary.
- Good documentation and change management control are essential in this position. Changes need to be announced. All work must be documented completely and in a timely manner. The ticketing system should be up-to-date and current at all times. Other documentation will include diagrams, configurations, Knowledge Base articles, end-user and or support personnel instructions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- At least 5 years of work experience administering Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012 Active Directory networks. Multi-site DFS topology administration is a plus.
- At least 5 years of work experience with migrations, operations, administration, and general maintenance of Microsoft SQL 2005/2008/2012, Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013, and 2003/2008/2012 session-based desktop solutions.
- Previous exposure and basic understanding of multi-tenant data center design and solutions
- Strong understanding of data protection and recovery solutions. Backup Exec, Veeam, Datto, and Asigra experience preferred.
- Intermediate understanding of vSphere 4x/5x clusters leveraging HA, vMotion, SvMotion, and dvSwitch
- At least 3 years of work experience performing P2V and V2V server migrations in VMware environments. Having migrated 50 or more servers is preferred.
- Hands on experience with network design, implementation and troubleshooting. Basic understanding of L2/L3 vLAN configurations, spanning tree, trunking/link aggregation, EIGRP/OSPF, HSRP, and BGP are preferred.
- Intermediate understanding of SMB and Enterprise wireless networking. Experience performing wireless surveys for small and medium sized buildings is a plus.
- Basic understanding of network load balancing, traffic shaping, and acceleration appliances is a plus.
- At least 3 years of work experience with business-class firewall and VPN solutions from leading vendors such as Cisco, CheckPoint, Fortinet, SonicWall, & SOPHOS. Five or more years working with Cisco ASAs and SonicWall NG/UTM appliances is a plus.
- Experience with using ConnectWise PSM and Kaseya RMM tools is a plus
Founded in 2004 by two visionary technologists, outsourceIT has since been ranked among the world
As a leader in the industry, we set the bar high for providing managed services, outsourced IT support, private and public cloud, and mobility solutions. Collectively, our team of IT professionals support thousands of end -users, spanning hundreds of organizations, ranging in size from small business to large corporate enterprise organizations. As one of the early adopters of both managed services and cloud-based technology, we have become one of the most knowledgeable, skilled, and experienced managed service providers in the market space today.
La Plata, MD
Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:31:55 PDT