Assistant Director for Student Groups
Functional Title Assistant Director for Student Groups
Position Type Administration - Staff
Internal Posting, Permanent UNCG Employees Will Be Considered
The Office of Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) is a department within the Division of Student Affairs. The focus of the department is to complement the academic mission of the University and enhance the overall educational experience of students through development of, exposure to and participation in social, cultural, intellectual, recreational, and governance programs. In addition, the department is responsible for providing services, and promoting programs that are responsive to student developmental needs and to the physical, social, recreational, and continuing education needs of the campus community.
Under the supervision of the Director of Campus Activities and Programs, the Assistant Director for Student Groups serves the Office of Campus Activities and Programs. This position is responsible for student group recognition, student group annual registration, management of student groups and their activities through Spartan Connect which is the management database, and advisement of a selection of organizations. This position supervises two full-time, Master's level Program Coordinators who plan and implement campus wide events such as UNCG Weekends, Rawkin Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Homecoming, Luminaries, Relaxation days, Winterfest, the Excellence Banquet and summer programming by providing guidance and management of event planning and budgets. The Assistant Director will advise Activities and Special Events (ACE) who are the official student programming group on campus who plan and implement campus wide events for students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise two full-time Master's level Program Coordinators and two programming Graduate Assistants.
- Provide management and guidance to Program Coordinators for programming for UNCG Weekends, major campus traditions such as Rawkin Welcome Week, Family Weekend, ACE, Luminaries, Winterfest, Spring Fling, Relaxation Days and the Excellence Banquet.
- Provide support to the student group management database system (Spartan Connect).
- Coordinate student organization recognition and registration. Review new group constitutions and application packets for compliance with University policy, state law and federal case law regarding student organization formation.
- Administer student group and advisor training series.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of State and University policies and regulations as they relate to campus activities, purchasing, contract negotiations and building operations.
Master's Degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education related field. At least three years of full time experience and thorough knowledge in marketing techniques and methods is essential.
Demonstrated creativity and innovation in developing programs and strategies to engage students on campus. Must demonstrate a commitment to the value of student activities as an experiential learning process. The position requires someone with initiative and an energy level that will enable the individual to work evening and weekend hours in addition to regular University hours.
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with experience
Org #-Department Campus Activities and Programs - 44807
Job Open Date 04/19/2017
For Best Consideration Date 05/03/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC school system job board
- Personal Networking
- * In order to be considered for this position, you must currently be employed at UNCG on a permanent basis. Are you currently a permanent employee at UNCG?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu