Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Lake Superior State University invites applications and nominations from motivated, forward-looking academic leaders for the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
THE UNIVERSITY: Lake Superior State University (LSSU) is located in scenic Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and shares an international border with Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The institution provides an exemplary blend of liberal and technical studies in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. LSSU offers undergraduate degrees in over 90+ areas of study that attract students from every county in Michigan, more than a dozen states and provinces, and many nations. As Michigan’s smallest public university, LSSU emphasizes an exceptional undergraduate experience, provided and supported by highly qualified faculty and a dedicated staff.
Lake State is part of a dynamic and picturesque community that offers a number of unique opportunities for students and faculty. Over 100,000 people live in the immediate area. The lake and the international border combine to make Sault Ste. Marie a delightful and desired place to live and work.
THE PROVOST/VPAA: The Provost & VPAA is the chief academic officer of Lake Superior State University and works collaboratively with the other vice presidents in a manner consistent with the University’s vision, mission, and strategic plan. The Provost & VPAA provides creative leadership, support, and advocacy to the colleges within LSSU and other academic and student support units to advance quality and innovation in institutional planning/effectiveness and academic programming at all levels. The Provost & VPAA reports directly to the President and serves as Acting President when designated.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: As a senior leadership member of the President's Cabinet, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for the following areas of the University:
- Academic Affairs
- Kenneth J. Shouldice Library
- Arts Center
- Applications of Information Technology in Academic Affairs programs and operations
- Twenty-two Charter Schools throughout the state
- Two regional education centers
- An earned Doctorate or terminal degree in a field represented at LSSU.
- A minimum of 5 years of recent successful experience in a university-level academic leadership role at least at the level of dean, associate/assistant dean or chair.
- Experience successfully leading large teams of people and managing significant budgets.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting LSSU with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm.
For more information about Lake Superior State University and the Provost & VPAA search (including an extensive list of duties and application requirements), please review this document: Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Applications will be held in confidence and should be submitted through the Consensus Search Support System – not via email. Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through the Consensus Search Support System: https://highereddecisions.com/efl/current_vacancies.asp
- The search committee will begin review of candidate materials on May 19, 2017.
- The ideal start date is August 1, 2017, but no later than September 1, 2017.
It is the policy of Lake Superior State University that no person shall be discriminated against, excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination in employment, or in any program or activity for which the University is responsible on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, sexual preference, age, disability, religion, height, weight, marital status or veteran status.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Dr. David Sallee
Senior Consultant & Managing Director
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates