IT Senior Associate, Levels 1-3 (Provisional) - Linux Systems Administration
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Office of Computing and Information Services (CIS) at the City University of New York (CUNY) support the IT and telecommunications needs of CUNY's 24 colleges. CIS supports enterprise IT and applications; develops new technologies that advance University's core mission; builds, upgrades and maintains the University's network; operates the University's Data Center and help desk; develops disaster recovery and business continuity plans; and leads the CUNYfirst Enterprise Resource Planning Project (ERP), which integrates 25 university systems, covering student administration, financial management, and human resources. Within CIS, the Systems, Storage, and Virtualization unit maintains and develops the service platforms for applications shared across the University.
Reporting to the Windows and Linux Systems Manager, the Senior Linux Systems Administrator will administer the Linux environment and deploy peripheral services in order to gain efficiency, maintain high availability servers, and reduce the need for physical hardware.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administers physical and virtual Red Hat Linux servers, including server deployment, kernel compilation, operating system patching, component installation and configuration, and updating packages.
- Manages servers in development, testing, and production environments, and web/application/database tiers while adhering to proper change management and security procedures.
- Manages the provisioning and deactivation of user accounts and authorizations.
- Oversees troubleshooting and quickly resolves performance issues such as resource contention, I/O bottlenecks, and network connectivity.
- Performs regular audits of system and application security, and implements corrective action as required.
- Represents the Systems group on selected CIS-wide committees and discussion groups pertaining to systems and applications.
- Architect and design systems that fulfills business requirements of various departments.
- Identify and remedy inefficiencies with systems and procedures.
- Delivers server tuning for application performance and capacity.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job duties require schedule flexibility and willingness to work evenings or weekends as required for systems-related tasks.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Certified Red Hat Linux Administrator.
- Experience deploying and managing servers in a VMWare ESX virtual environment.
- Working knowledge with automation/management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, GitHub, and RedHat Satellite.
- Experience scripting with shell, Ruby, Python, PHP, Bash, or Perl.
- Working ability to secure a server using IPtables and SELinux.
- Experience designing and administering high available/loadbalanced systems.
- Experience with SAN and NAS storage systems.
- Working knowledge of DNS, SNMP, LDAP, SSH, and certificate management.
- Applied technical knowledge in troubleshooting, system integration, and migration of Linux and/or Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Proactive and detail-oriented with a high aptitude for solving complex problems and rendering sound resolutions.
- Ability to work productively as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a fast-paced, time-sensitive, customer-responsive, and team-oriented environment.
Level 1: $84,345
Level 2: $92,014
Level 3: $101,217
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and rsum online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
- SEARCH REOPENED--
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin October 31, 2016. Close April 28, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: IT Senior Associate, Levels 1-3 (Provisional) - Linux Systems Administration
Job ID: 15721
Full/Part Time: Full-Time