General Statement of Job
To instruct students in Welding courses in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Note: Other locations as needed Hours As assigned Salary Salary is assigned according to the Full-Time Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Department Chair, Welding Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- This position is for an art metals instructor. This includes teaching hand and machine forging, coppersmithing, metal sculpture, architectural and ornamental metal work, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, SMAW, PAC, OAW, OFC, layout and fabrication. Additional duties may include teaching Code Welding classes as needed.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective teaching techniques adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Understanding the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline. This is including but not limited to blueprint reading; a sound fundamental knowledge in destructive and non-destructive testing; code interpretation; understanding of all manual welding processes; an understanding of metallurgy as it relates to the welding industry; and above all a willingness to learn new technologies and processes as they develop.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Skillfully proficient in OFC, OFW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW, SMAW, PAC, CAC-A and any variations of these processes.
- Effectively assisting student learning.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Being punctual for classes and office hours.
- Maintaining an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, including possible multiple campus locations that may vary by semester.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, classroom or other current learning technologies for effective teaching at the community college level.
Required Work Experience
- In accordance with SACSCOC accreditation requirements, three years related work experience in welding.
Preferred Work Experience
- More than five years experience with various welder qualifications in one or more related industries.
- Experience working with a variety of forging, heating, and bending equipment
- Experience fabricating and installation of architectrual, sculptural, or ornamental metal work.
- Experience working with a variety of metals and using a variety of joinery methods
- In accordance with SACSCOC accreditation requirements: Associate degree of Applied Sciences in Welding. SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline. For specific requirements by course, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at http://www.austincc.edu/faculty/credentials/.
- Bachelor's or graduate work in related area.
- Current or previous Certified Welder in accordance with the American Welding Society.
- Current or previous AWS Certified Welding Inspector and Certified Welding Educator.
- Reliable transportation may be required for teaching in multiple campus locations.
- Work is routinely performed in a classroom or lab setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students.
- Ability to move cylinders, steel, and other equipment typical of a welding shop or lab.
- Ability to lift and move 80 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook.
- Current or previous - American Welding Society, Certified Welding Educator. American Welding Society, Certified Welding Inspector. API and/or ASME welder qualifications.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.