Posting Date April 18, 2017
Position Title Nurse Practitioner
Vacancy # V-1285
Department University Health Center
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the direction of the Director of the University Health Center, provides health care services and outreach to students and consultation to faculty and staff of the Montclair State University community. Actively participates in University committees/activities as well as administrative duties as assigned by the Director.
- Provides direct primary health care to students including physical, developmental and psychosocial well- being.
- Consults with collaborating physicians as needed for health care issues beyond the nurse practitioner's scope of practice.
- Determines presence of social risk behaviors when obtaining health histories and responds with appropriate education, screening and/or referrals.
- Documents all care and contacts with student in individuals' electronic medical record.
- Interprets laboratory results and implements appropriate health care response.
- Implements follow-up contact and care as needed.
- Collaborates with other campus resources to provide holistic care and support for all clients.
- Recognizes and respects multicultural influences on health care decisions and individualizes plan of care accordingly.
- Maintains HIPAA compliance and strict confidentiality of medical records.
- Evaluates wellness practices of student population and implements outreach programs and services.
- Assists in the development of referral services for students who require off-campus health care services.
- Participates in chart review procedures as required by the collaboration agreement established between Montclair State University Health Center and Hackensack UMC/Mountainside Family Practice Associates.
- Assists in the general administration of the University Health Center operations as assigned by the Director.
- Provides on-going evaluation of services with the goal of improvement and expansion of the University Health Center.
- Maintains computer proficiency with specific knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and University software programs.
- Maintains professional development and certification through continuing education opportunities, current literature review, maintenance of necessary computer skills and membership in appropriate professional organizations.
- Develops and maintains a proficiency in emergency preparedness and campus violence prevention and response concepts.
- Serves as Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner for University SART response if certified.
- Participates in university committees and activities as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- Current licensure as a Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse in Adult or Family Practice with prescriptive authority.
- National certification by an approved accrediting body as an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Masters of Science Degree in Nursing.
- Minimum of one year experience as an Advanced Practice Nurse.
- Experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds in a college health setting preferred.
- Certification as a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date As soon as job is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION