Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Dental Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Seeking a full-time, entry-level Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to join a research laboratory within the Department of Craniofacial Biology, School of Dental Medicine. The successful candidate will to assist with polymer-based biomaterials projects. The position is in a Materials Science lab that develops polymers specifically for drug delivery and dental applications. Research is carried out under the direct supervision of the principal investigator, Devatha P. Nair, Ph.D.
The PRA should be highly motivated and able to work independently, but cooperatively, within a research laboratory environment. The position requires exceptional organizational skills, record-keeping abilities and attention to detail. The PRA should be able to clearly and effectively communicate with the research team and is expected to fully participate in laboratory meetings.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Formulating, synthesizing and characterizing the material property evolution and reaction kinetics of nanogels and hydrogels
- Post-polymerization thermal and mechanical characterization of polymers and polymer composites
- Meets regularly with PI to discuss and review research design and progress; attends scientific seminars when appropriate.
- Contribute to the process for identifying patentable inventions.
- Uses MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, and statistical software to collect and/or assist in the presentation/publication of research results.
- Maintains and orders lab supplies and equipment; complies with lab safety requirements.
- Conducts literature research and may be required to perform other duties as business needs dictate
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Both classroom and laboratory experience in the polymer engineering sciences. Candidates should have knowledge of polymeric materials, specialized laboratory material tests using mechanical, chemical and analytical biochemical techniques. Candidates should have the ability to work independently, identify and set priorities, and meet deadlines. Experience with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and statistical software. Above all, the candidate must have a positive, preserving attitude, the willingness to learn and aspire to be a contributing member of our scientific team.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Candidates must have a Bachelors of Arts or Sciences degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Biology or in a closely related field from an accredited university or college.
- Candidates with experience in cell culture and cytotoxicity assays are strongly preferred and those with at least 1 year of experience with molecular synthesis, polymer syntheses and characterization have an advantage.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9161
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20425 - SDM-Craniofacial Biology
Posting Date: Apr 18, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Laurine Szymanski
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00639867