Director of Financial Services and Occupancy Management
The Department of Housing and Dining Services is now accepting applications for the Director of Financial Services and Occupancy Management. This is a full-time, 12-month professional exempt position. The Director of Financial Services and Occupancy Management has oversight of all funds spanning nine units and 17+ programs with total expenditures from all sources in excess of $104M. This position manages all fiscal and planning activities in HDS including:
- Budget and finance of a $130 million enterprise auxiliary operation (including numerous revenue streams, operating budgets, debt service, capital construction, etc.).
- Business analysis and fiscal control of its multiple business units (residential programs and services, campus dining services, housing facilities services, CU conference services, administrative units, and information technology).
- Control and integrity of over 9,000 student housing accounts.
- Management of processes and payments for capital construction debt obligations of $451M.
- Oversight of occupancy management efforts of the department, including database and application administration for the housing management system, StarRez.
The position provides leadership to a group of 30 professional staff and students and directly supervises the Associate Director of Housing Finance and the Associate Director of Occupancy Management. The Director is also a member of the department's leadership team.
Who we are:
Housing & Dining Services provides services to over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students on the CU Boulder campus. Our 650 full time staff and 1000 student staff strive to provide excellent customer service and to support student success through our programs in residence hall and apartment living, dining services and catering, conference services and child care. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, which includes 22 days of vacation, 15 days of sick leave,10 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement and ECOPass.
What your key responsibilities will be:
The Director of Financial Services and Occupancy Management will be responsible for the following:
Oversight of Housing Financial Planning, Analysis and Control
- Managerial and fiduciary responsibilities for all financial matters within HDS.
- Develop appropriate financial and administrative policies, processes, and infrastructure to support operations. Continually upgrade and tailor them to address evolving programmatic and operating needs in the most cost effective manner utilizing appropriate software tools.
- Responsible for development and dissemination of budget planning parameters, and the implementation of the budget into university financial records.
- Responsible for development of annual HDS budget and the organization of annual funding requests from HDS units, and for annual fiscal year closing procedures.
- Provide direction and support for the development of financial modeling and proformas for renovations and remodeling of facilities.
- Responsible for facilitation of the budget and bond fund approval process, including submission to Board of Regents.
- Develop appropriate financial and administrative policies and processes to support operations. Continually upgrade and tailor them to address evolving programmatic and operating needs in the most cost effective manner.
- Monitor and assess HDS financial status and develop and provide monthly financial reporting to the executive director and business units.
- Maximize unit effectiveness by promoting collaboration and cross training between functions (budget, accounts payable and receivable, procurement, etc.) as well as collaboration among HDS personnel and key campus staff to develop and support business process improvement initiatives.
- Responsible for providing standard, consistent service and high customer service levels while ensuring compliance with all state, university and federal policies.
- Advise, counsel, and assist directors and HDS staff on financial matters.
- Ensure alignment of financial and administrative practices with resources, policies and priorities.
- Continuously analyze processes, workflows and operations to improve efficiency and outcomes.
Oversight of Occupancy Management
- Provide leadership and oversight for all aspects of housing occupancy management, to include housing applications and the portal, room assignments, and annual/quarterly/semester billing processes for all university operated and leased facilities including residence halls and apartments.
- Responsible for customer responsive capacity and occupancy plans and their integral relationship to over $ 91M in annual room and board revenues.
- Assess housing trends to provide reliable forecast models and reports for room and building assignments to maximize revenue generation.
- Oversee monitoring of occupancy, and provide reports and analysis on trends including revenue impact. Quickly identify and report potential shortfalls in revenue delivery.
- Utilize student market research, industry standards, and collaboration with campus partners (both internal and external to the university) to ensure HDS housing and dining offerings meet the needs of today's college student.
- Provide leadership to maximize overall housing and dining revenue through the development and implementation of effective inventory control, capacity, marketing strategies, detailed historical data analysis and future demand forecasts.
- Responsible for oversight of the housing assignment database (StarRez), as well as other database systems of financial record. Act as system administrator liaison on behalf of HDS to Bursar. Collaborate with departments on all reporting required from housing administrative systems.
- Represent HDS to constituent groups within and outside the university, including prospective new students and their families.
- Provide leadership for the development and support of optimal business, hospitality and marketing practices for an efficient and effective delivery of customer service in the office, in strategic messaging, and in the department's web/social media presence.
- Ensure that personnel, systems and procedures are developed and maintained for the integrity of student housing accounts and billing processes/transactions.
- Contribute to the development and support of campus and departmental goals for student housing related to academic success and student retention.
Leadership and Supervision
- Provide leadership to 30 professional staff and direct supervision for two professional exempt positions over four distinct operational areas: budget & finance, business analysis & support, student accounts management, and occupancy management.
- Ensure a highly collaborative, supportive, educational, and diverse environment for optimal employee empowerment and unit productivity.
- Mentor, coach and ensure professional development opportunities for staff.
- Conduct assessments to measure the level of customer satisfaction with the unit's services.
- Develop and oversee fiscal training to directors and HDS staff.
- Work closely with campus and CU system colleagues.
Advisor to the Executive Director of HDS and HDS Leadership Team
- Serves as department financial expert advising the senior leadership team on the best course of financial action for the department within campus compliance parameters.
- Participate as a full member of the senior leadership team by aligning fiscal management and strategy with HDS's overall goals and vision.
- Evaluate fiscal and policy implications for programs.
- Identify, research and evaluate strategic opportunities.
- Provide feedback on daily operations and inform on ongoing issues and projects to Leadership Team.
Develop and Maintain External Relationships
- Work in close consultation with various campus offices, especially Budget and Fiscal Planning, Registrar's Office, Treasurers Office and the PSC, to represent the needs and interests of HDS by establishing strong relationships and partnerships. Initiate and pursue strategic collaborations.
- Participate on university-wide and campus committees as appropriate.
- Comment on and contribute toward university-wide and campus policy as appropriate.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other administrative offices as needed to manage implementation of new systems or ensure compliance with new policies.
What we can offer:
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be impactful. Be engaged. Be inspired. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business administration, natural sciences or closely related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in financial and administrative operations management which includes budgeting, strategic and financial planning, financial reporting, and asset management strategies in a large organization.
- Four years supervisory experience in building and effectively leading fiscal operations and cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated experience in executing financial management strategies and developing processes and systems for tracking, measuring and evaluating outcomes.
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite, including Excel and Access.
- Working familiarity as a user of complex database management systems.
What you will need:
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Excellent team-building and leadership skills
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree in a relevant field and/or CPA
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft and Cognos financial reporting tools
- Three additional years of senior level financial management experience in a large enterprise auxiliary operation
- Solid experience in capital project, budget modeling
- Experience in higher education
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 24, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. The Division of Student Affairs is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity of the campus and to achieving the institution's goals concerning equity and inclusion. Applicants are encouraged to include information about how they will further this goal in their cover letter.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-08936.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Apr 18, 2017
Closing Date: Apr 24, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00152508