NETWORK APPLICATION SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
JOB NO.: 90367-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: DOIT/NETWORK SVCS/CAMPUS NET
Categories: Computer Science, Web Design/Development
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90367-AS
Working Title: Network Application System Administrator
Official Title: SR IS SPECIALIST(S45BN) or IS SPECIALIST(S45DN)
Hiring Department: A069120-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/NETWORK SVCS/CAMPUS NET
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Advertised Salary: Minimum $70,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization: Degree not required
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: Required Qualifications
* Experience supporting servers running one or more Linux operating systems such as: Red Hat, fedora, debian/ubuntu,SystemD.
* Experience and advanced knowledge of UNIX system administration functions, UNIX shells (i.e. Bourne, C, Korn), UNIX network utilities, Makefiles, Git and RCS.
* Experience coding UNIX shell scripts, CGI, SQL, HTML and web design techniques.
* Must have outstanding interpersonal and organization skills and effective oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to learn DoIT policies, procedures, and standards.
* Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships.
(A minimum of 7 years of IT experience to be considered for the Senior level.)
* Experience supporting RADIUS, DNS/DHCP, LDAP
* Advanced knowledge of virtual machine environments (i.e. VMWare).
* Advanced knowledge of relational database (e.g. Oracle, Postgres or MySQL) systems.
* Advanced knowledge of data processing methodologies, analysis and design techniques, and computer programming techniques using PERL, python and makefiles.
* Advanced knowledge of project estimation, work plan preparation, project change control techniques and task automation.
Position Summary: The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides computer technology services to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a more limited set of services to UW System and other units of State government. DoIT delivers desktop, server and mainframe computing services and supports networks, telecommunications, Internet connectivity, administrative and academic systems, security, instructional technology and other functions.
Network Services is a department within DoIT and is responsible for the management, operation and support of the campus network. Network Services coordinates the design, long-range planning and procurement of a broad range of network services, including access to the Internet, Internet 2 and other high-speed research networks.
This position will provide information system administration, network tools and applications support for academic, administrative, research and outreach activities related to several major networks for the UW-Madison campus network. The position is responsible for assisting in development and maintenance of software tools and applications such as wired and wireless network management and monitoring, Domain Name System (DNS) services, GIS-based fiber infrastructure tracking and network access control platforms.
The position is responsible for development and technical support of a Linux server environment. The primary skills required are familiarity with the design, installation, and maintenance of physical and virtual servers running one or more distributions of Linux. This includes formulation of system requirements and design alternatives; providing technical consultation, leadership, and support in the performance of system development and administration activities; and participation in quality and system assurance reviews. This position will perform research and deelopment activities related to the selection and installation of complex and emerging hardware, hardware operating system, and software technologies. The position responsibilities include planning, installation, programming, and problem diagnosis and support of Linux servers.
Contact: Bradley Molzahn
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants: Please note that DoIT is not able to provide sponsorship for this position.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should specifically address the Required Qualifications listed in the Relevant Work Experience section.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 18 Apr 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 16 May 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time