JOB NO.: 90308-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: DOIT/NETWORK SVCS/CAMPUS NET
Categories: Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90308-AS
Working Title: Network Engineer
Official Title: SR NETWORK SPEC(S81BN) or NETWORK SPEC(S81DN)
Hiring Department: A069120-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/NETWORK SVCS/CAMPUS NET
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $70,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Degree not required
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Minimum 3 years of in-depth experience with routing and switching. (A minimum of 7 years of experience to be considered for the Senior level.)
* Strong problem solving skills including the ability to diagnose and provide solutions to not previously encountered issues.
* In-depth knowledge of network communication technologies and protocols as Ethernet, MPLS, TCP/IP v4and v6, SNMP, Netflow and software defined networking.
* Experience designing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining large scale switching and routing networks.
* Excellent relationship building and teamwork.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Strong quality customer service skills and techniques.
* Advanced knowledge of network wireless technologies.
* Knowledge and experience with UNIX, UNIX network utilities, UNIX shells and scripting software development languages such as PERL, Python, C, etc.
* Ability to apply innovative ideas and technology to various situations.
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides computer technology services to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a more limited set of services to UW System and other units of State government. DoIT delivers desktop, server and mainframe computing services and supports networks, telecommunications, Internet connectivity, administrative and academic systems, security, instructional technology and other functions.
Network Services is a department within DoIT and is responsible for the management, operation and support of the campus network. Network Services coordinates the design, long-range planning and procurement of a broad range of network services, including access to the Internet, Internet 2 and other high-speed research networks.
Campus Network Services is responsible for technological aspects of multiple campus-wide networks. This includes the deployment of a high-speed Ethernet backbone supporting over 180 buildings for over 300 departments. These responsibilities include development, deployment, maintenance and operational support for wired and wireless network access, firewall, remote access, data center and layer 4 services. Network Services relies on a number of DoIT departments in provisioning services, including User Support, Systems Engineering, System & Network Control Center and Middleware.
Instructions to applicants:
Please note that DoIT is not able to provide sponsorship for this position.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should specifically address the Required Qualifications listed in the Relevant Work Experience section.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 18 Apr 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 16 May 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time